Chapter Thirtyfour- Lucky

"Miss Jefferson? You wont believe it but Evangiline-" I said into the phone but paused when her mom let out a sob.

   The sound broke me all over again. It was the tear-jerking sound of a mom just getting her child back. She had been through Evangiline's whole life and could have been there when it ended.

  "Evangiline is awake." I interrupted her.

    "What?" she gasped and stayed silent. I imagined her biting her long nails.

     "She's awake."

   She gasped again. "Really? Charles...dont-"

    "I'm being serious. She just woke up!"

  "Charles I'm on my way. Tell her I'm on my way!" She frantically said to me.

   "Alright. Just be careful." I say, I was still wary of Evangiline's accident. I don't know what I would do if Evangiline  woke up to her mom dead. The pain would be too much.

  "Your mom is on her way." I popped back in the hospital room and said calmly.

  I watched the tiniest movements in her scarred face. I saw the way it hurt her to breath. It hurt me to see her this way...especially knowing that it was my fault.

But I also thought of her change because of me. She's a new person, and so am I.

   "Now?" she croaked.

  "Yes. She will be here in maybe ten minutes." I smiled as I said it.

  Her eyes closed again.

Evangilines POV

"Did I die?" I asked the male nurse, half kidding but hoping it was true. He smelt like peppermints and cinnamon. It was a huge contrast to the clean smell of the hospital.

  The nurse surprised me when he let out his warm chuckle. "No. You were hit though. Names Danny, by the way. Oh, you're  mom is coming. And Charles has been here nonstop. I mean EVERY. DAY. It's crazy how weird people get when they're in love."

  "Yeah." I agreed. "Crazy. Do you know him?"

   "Yeah. He is here all the time- this time more than usual." He answered.

   "Why was he here a lot?"

   "Umm... well I don't think it's my place to tell."

  I made note to ask later.

The nurse changed the subject. "I spoke to the doctor as soon as you woke up. He said that after your ribs heal, you can go home. And he's putting you on strong pain meds and taking you off the morphine. I think you'll be fine."

   "Thanks." I answered.

    "You're welcome. Oh, umm here are your glasses. Charles asked me to hold them."

   I reached my arms in a circle in front of me until I felt them. I smirked. " You don't like my eyes?"

    He laughed. "Honestly, no. They look scary. No offense. "

   I slid them on. "None taken."

I think I'm done editing... maybe.  Please vote and share! Thank you for reading.
  So you all know that this is a work in progress and ya girl's struggling with the storyline. I tried to add in the part about Evangilines mom being sick...and i don't think i worked it in right. Anyway I appreciate all the reads!!!