Chapter Eighteen- Marry Me

"What?" I stood up and my shin banged against the glass table. I was in shock for a moment until the notion was finally processed through my brain.

I heard him chuckle at my response and hopefully not the pain I had just caused myself.

"What did you just say?" I yelled again. I knew he must have been joking.

Rosy was somewhere close, mumbling spanish.

"I said will you marry me?" he repeated, his voice too clear and strong.

I couldn't breath. My heart literally stopped and siezed up. I had known him only a few months now and he was asking me to marry him? I knew that he was crazy.

"Your out of your fucking mind!" I said through my teeth.

"So I have to be crazy to love you?" I could practically feel him smirking, then I was not sure if he was serious.

"I... We... We just met, Charles! Its been a few months...and this is all fake remember?" I said. Then it dawned on me and I bursted out in this crazy Joker type of laugh. The very sound was odd and nearly terrified me. I finally laughed, because I knew that he was just being an asshole. "You're kidding, right?"

When he did not respond, I knew.

"Just let me explain!" He held me by my shoulders. "I'm leaving."

"Then leave!" I yelled in his face. I felt like he was playing some kind of trick on me.

"No! I'm leaving this town. This stupid town!" His voice grew angry and loud so suddenly...it was as if he was reminded of an old jaded memory.

God he was dramatic.

My shoulders dropped from their uptight position. I relaxed a little.   "Why?"

"Why do you think, Evangiline? Because I don't like the food here? No. I can't stand my father or the reputation that he and my mother left for me. This whole town is shit. Okay? I want to get away from all the bull crap and lies and politics. I want to get away with you. I know it sounds stupid but just think about it." He said.

I couldn't breath again. Why was he doing this?

"Why are you telling me this? Why ask me to marry you? We agreed that-"

"Bullshit, Evangiline!  I didn't mean for this to happen. I thought I could never fall in you because your blind and had a horrible attitude...it turns out that's why I love you. You challenged me after I was used to getting my way for so long... And," He pulled me an inch closer to his shaking body. "Because I love you."

His love was definitely something that I could not deny. Or accept.  I had not known him long enough, although I felt us to be bestfriends... This whole thing was dumb. I barely knew thus dude...then again Roneo and Juliet did fall in love in a day...

"And...and I can not leave without you! So please Evangiline, will you marry me?" I heard Charles ask, his voice thick with emotion.

But I had to tell him the truth. I had to tell him "No."