Chapter Thirtythree- Awake

Listen to SAY SOMETHING-by Christina Aguilera while reading. Its amazeballs!!!

Charles pov:

I went back to her almost a week later. Somehow, I could not let myself around her like this... My eyes were rimmed with red and my chin dotted with light stubble; apparently my hair grows fast.

I had a killer migrane and a slight limp from the fourth time at the bar. I imagined that I looked homeless. How could someone cause me to become this way? Is this what love is? Is it hurt and devastation? Or something I've yet to discover?

     Something strange happened in me. I felt a tiny prick in my heart, something I'd only felt once when Evangiline refused my impromptu-proposal.

Inside me I knew something had changed.

The not knowing is what pushed me to the hospital, to her room, and to her side.

She was still silent and sleeping when I got there.

"I love you. I love you so much. More than you even know. That's why I wanted you to leave with me. That's why I left. Sure, it was a little too early, but I tried." Soon I found myself spewing out words.

"I'm so sorry for lying. I only wanted to keep my promises. I didn't mean to really fall in love or hurt you. I didn't mean any of this."

I waited for the slightest change in her pale expression. I stared for what felt like hours, just praying and hoping.

    When I was just about to lay my head on her bed, her lips twitched.

"Evangiline?" I couldn't breath. "Are you...there? Please talk to me." I begged.

  Her eyes slowly opened. It felt like something out of a movie.

      I gasped and choked on air. They had changed! Her eyes were no longer the pale, sick, green that they once were. They turned a light emerald colour.

  If that had changed, then maybe...

  "Evangiline?" I waved my hand infront of her eyes.

  She did not blink.

   She sputtered an unhealthy cough and rolled her head over to face me. "Charles..."

  I leaned a few inches closer.

  "Come closer..." she groaned.

  I leaned father. "What is it?"

  "I... I hid the money under the-" Her sentence ended in a croak. My heart stopped. I needed to go to a cardiologist after today.

  "Are you-" I started but she interrupted me.

  "Ha! You dumbass! You believed me!" Evangiline tried to laugh, but instead she ended up wheezing.

"Can you... Can you see?"

Her voice came out fragile. Just the sound of it broke my heart.

"I...no." her words were so unsteady. As if she was deciding.

"Really?"

"Yes. " She sounded like a broken child, one that had it's teddy bear ripped from it's place by her heart..

  "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. I just thought... Your eyes...they're darker."  I was trying to control my disappointment.  My chest ached.

  "So? That doesn't mean anything."

I bit my bottom lip and stared at her for a while. I kept blinking to keep back a tear or two. "I know."

   Then I swooped down to hug her and she whimpered at my touch. Actually,  I shouldn't have done that so ruff. Bruises dotted her perfect face and cuts were thrown over her. She looked like a sloppy artist's work. Still a masterpiece.

  "Sorry."

   "Whatever. You...you sound different." Evangiline began reaching for my face. I let it skim over my stubble and the tiny wrinkles under my eyes.

   I smiled when her hand landed on my lips. "Yea I've just been a little upset. I mean, my girlfriend did almost die chasing after me. I should've never-" then I stop myself.

  "Girlfriend?  And never what?"

  "Nothing."

   "No. Tell me, Charles. Never WHAT?" She raised her raspy voice as high as it could go and sat up as much as she could.

   "I was just gonna say that I shouldn't have messed with you in the first place. I've ruined your life. I've gotten you almost killed. I made you waste a year waiting for something that wasn't going to happen, and I'm so sorry for that. "

   "Listen, asshole. You didn't make me do anything. I chose to follow you into the street, so it's my fault for doing the stupidest thing in the world. I chose to hang on to us- which is something I never wanted in the first place." Her soft words came out bitter. They did their job and stung my heart.

   "No I never meant that I regretted meeting you, because I don't and never could. You have given me the best times of my life, Evangiline. I love you for that."

   "Stop it. Stop it now. Please call my mom and go. I need time to think."

   "What? What did I do?" I stood up and watched her fiddle her thumbs in the sheets.

    "Nothing." Evangiline whispered. "Just go. I need time. I'll call you later. Just get the nurse so he can do her shit and put more of this in me." She pointed to the IV bag.

   I nodded and walked away.