Chapter Five- Dinner

My mom requested  that I tolerate Charles for a while. A few days later, he came over and apologized.

I wondered what caused the sudden interest in my love life but mom must've had something planned. She was always prepared.

    The only reason he made it inside the house this time was because my mom opened the door before I could. Then that witch suggested we go to lunch. I wanted her to pick up some chocolate cake from that bakery by the town hall for me so I played nice.

  After we were on the way, the silence in his car was too much to bare.

     "So...how do you have all this money?" I could tell by the way he paused and the car slowed that my question was uncomfortable to him. I had been wondering this whole time why he was at the senator's house a few days ago.

Charles cleared his throat again, "My... uh dad is the senator".

"Of here?" I asked, shocked that I had not met him. Tylid couldn't bee his dad.

"Yes." He sounded surprised that I did not know, but I hardly ever listened to my mother about her work.

"You can't be. Tylid's is the senator." He doesn't have  son except...

"Yeah. I have my mom's maiden name." He sounded embarrassed.

"They never got married?" Was it really him? Was it the bastard son of Senator Tylid?

"Nope" Charles answered.

"Oooh yeah. You're mom was that woman that had an affair with Tylid. Oh. My. Gosh. Your her son?" I almost yelled.

   I knew that I was being rude, but come on, he was the product of a twenty year old scandal.

"I'm sorry. It's just... Wow." I breathed out. "How had I not known you all these years?"

   "You have but you weren't aware. I've seen you around, but never had the guts to speak to you."

   "Why? Did my soulless eyes bother you?"

   "No." he laughed. "Your mom was intimidating. "

He stayed quiet for the rest of the ten minute drive. The car stopped and I unbuckled.

"Where are we?"

"Cafe Du Monde. Bye far the best place in town."

"Well" I scoffed, "we'll see about that. Or actually I won't see."  I referred to the crispy sweet beignets and cold sweet tea. I hardly ever go out in public unless I am forced to by my mom.

I waited for him to laugh but he did not. I pulled myself out of the car and stood up in the hot summer air. Then a thick aroma of cajun spices, sugary something's and fried foods swirled around me.

I didn't hear a lot of voices as he led me inside so not many people were there. The place was slightly big, I could tell by the way that the voices echoed off the walls. As I drew nearer I smelt something thick and sweet accompanied by buttery rolls.

"It smells sooo good." I said more to myself than Charles.

My cane clanked against a chair to my left then poked- or stabbed- something soft and fluffy.

"Hey! Watch it!" A young-sounding man's voice yelled at me.

"Is there a problem?"I yelled back and turned my eyes in his direction. I was ready to beat some ass. "Fight me asshole."

   "Sorry, I'm an animal lover- I don't hit bitches." he replied.

  I bit my tongue for a moment because what I wanted to say would have gotten me kicked out. Maybe that'd be a good thing.

  "Neither do I." I spat.

"Hey, chill dude." Charles said.

Like he could help me. This little bitch...

The man coughed awkwardly and I assumed that he saw my eyes. It was the sane reaction that everyone had. He scooted his chair away in disgust.

He responded more humbled this time, "Sorry ma'am I...I didn't know."

  I rolled my eyes and mumbled. "Bitch."

Charles pulled me forward in sat me at a table.

"That jackass. Just because I'm blind he's going to apologize? I hate people like that." I huffed to Charles who sat across from me.

"Well what do you expect? You do have a disability."

   "Nope. I don't consider it an excuse for people to treat me like a child. That shit is getting old fast."

He shifted at my curse words.

"Asshole!" I yelled over my shoulder in the direction of where we came from.

"Evangiline !" Charles tried to politely correct me.

I shrugged, "Evangiline is my government name. Call me Ambrosia. It's my stripper name."

He laughed. "Imagine that."

"I know. Who would pay to see a blind stripper?"

"Everyone's fetishes are different."

This made me laugh... just a little.

I heard light steps come up at my right side. I turned toward them.

"Excuse me miss? I have to ask you to please be aware of your language-" a woman who must be a waitress says.

"Oh, I speak English."

"The use of curse words are prohibited at this fine establishment, so I'm asking you to please-" The waitress' voice grew more aggravated and whinier.

I smiled. "I am asking you to go away."

She coughed then left. The room was quiet for a few seconds, then the noise resumed.

"You don't have to be so rude, Evangiline." Charles said as he slurped his bitter smelling wine.

  I hate when people slurp or unnecessarily crinkle bags. It makes me want to choke them.

I shrugged. I had the right just as everyone else to voice my opinion.

"I was wondering..." I decided to make small talk.

"What?"

"Why on earth at you having me for lunch? Did my mom make you do this for publicity or something?"

"No. I wanted to do this on my own, maybe get to know you better. Well...it also has something to do with making it look like our parents can work together well, if their kids can."

"Hmm... that should work. It will also make people see that you aren't such  bad guy. But I'm-" he cut me off.

"You're amazing.  Even if my dad and your mom hadn't suggested it, I would have still asked you out."

I leaned back and scoffed. He us so crazy. It's stupid.

"So what do you want?" He asked.

"Hmm... A jeep... no acne... new eyes..."

"No, I mean what do you want to eat?" He corrected me.

"Ughhhh..." I felt the top of the table for the menu and pretended to read it. I felt him staring at me.

  "Maybe that. Or this. And that."

   He did not laugh.

    "Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"You seem amazing. I just wanted to get to know you. Why is it so hard for you to believe that? Calm down and decide what you want to eat."

    "Okay. I'll have what you're having. Not seafood though. And after today, lets go our separate ways. As you can tell, I don't like people."

    He sighed. "I can't leave you alone. I promised someone that I won't."