Chapter 21

Hunter's POV
"Now that Flynn's gone, it's just back to us two again," Cassie mutters. "Feels odd. I mean, we've been stuck with that lot so much recently that it feels weird for it to be just the two of us."
"Well then, I'll make it so it's the three of us, if that's alright?" Lucky says, sitting down next to me.
"Fine by me," I shrug. "So what are we supposed to do whilst those three are off on their own adventure? Do we have an adventure?"
"Sounds like an idea," she grins. "I actually have something I want to do. Eva showed me the journal about half bloods... and apparently those the guard catch go to this prison. I want to break them out."
"Now that sounds like an adventure," Cassie smirks. "It actually sounds more exciting than what Eva and Cas are doing."
"And think of how many people we'll be able to help. Just don't let Eva know, she'll probably try and come along. But on a separate note, I want to know more about you two. Specifically you Hunter, Ada mentioned something about you once, but she never elaborated on it."

"And that thing she mentioned was...?"

"That you didn't want to be like your father. She didn't mention much, but apparently he traveled a lot."

That idiot. Did she have to mention that of all things to Lucky? I guess she wasn't expecting to see us again, but even so, it's more than irritating.

"My dad was a scumbag. That's all you need to know," I scowl.
"Oh, right, I should've known it's a personal topic," Lucky mutters. "Sorry."
"Nah, it's okay. I just don't like thinking about him."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Cassie glaring at me, almost urging me to tell her, but I shake my head. Pouting, she murmurs something inaudible under her breath, only to jump up to her feet mere moments later.

"How about we go look around the capital? I've heard it's an interesting place," she sighs, tugging me and Lucky to our feet. "It might be helpful for our mission too."
"Alright then, we just have to be careful," Lucky says, Cassie nodding in response before turning to look at me. Sighing, I say, "Fine... I'll come."

Soon, we're sneaking through the streets, staying out of view from Pures, specifically for Lucky's sake. But despite our attempt at hiding, I still hear whispers talking about us.

"This was a bad idea," I grunt, crossing my arms.
"Just ignore them. It's not like any of them know who we are-" Cassie goes silent as she stares straight ahead, eyes wide, almost frightened. I turn to see what she's looking at, and suddenly I understand her fear. Immediately, I grab Lucky and Cassie, darting into the nearest alleyway.

I hope to god he didn't recognise me.

Cursing under my breath, I notice Lucky looking more than confused.
"That was my dad," I groan. "I don't know what he's doing here, but I'm sure he won't realise it's me. I mean, he hasn't seen me in like eight years-"

"Sarah? Is that you?"

Shoot.

The name sends chills through my body as Cassie grabs my hand, getting ready to run, but I stay still, my eyes meeting his.

I don't look much like my father. Apart from my hair and skin colour, I share little to nothing with him. When Cassie first saw him, she mocked me and claimed I had a baby face, as whilst he was rough and ragged, I was a kid, barely ten years old. That was one of the only times she saw him. Not only did I actively try to keep her and Ada away from him, but he left around a year later.

"You," I hiss, turning to face him.
"That's no way to greet you father-"

"You have no right to call yourself a father!" Cassie spits, turning red seconds later from a strange mix of frustration and embarrassment. "First you hurt and abuse Hunter and Sephie and even their own mother, you still use that stupid name when referring to him even after all these years. And that's not all. You abandoned them all, and what for? So you could go explore?"
"Don't waste your breath on him Cassie, c'mon, let's head back," I say, turning away from him.