Thirty-Seven

Talia woke up early in Klaus's arms yet again, very comfortable there.

"Good morning, darling," Talia greeted with a smile.

"Someone's rather happy," Klaus replied. "And you aren't even a morning person."

"Well, I am engaged to my soulmate," she said. "I'm still riding that high. And I feel good."

"Let me sleep in a little, please," he murmured. "I'm not feeling that good."

"Are you alright?" she asked. "Vampires don't catch colds, let alone Original hybrids."

"I'll be fine. Just feeling under the weather."

"Well, I can make you some chicken soup and we can spend a day in."

"I'll be fine, darling."

"I'm going to make some soup anyway. Let me take care of you."

"Isn't that my job? To take care of you?"

"It's a two-way street, darling." She kissed his cheek. "I'm making you some chicken soup."

She made her way downstairs and put the new Mikaelson mansion kitchen to use, making a simple soup with whatever she found in the house. It didn't take too long.

Elijah entered the kitchen nursing a glass of alcohol, saying, "Good morning, Natalia."

"Good morning, suit and tie," she responded, noticing he wasn't in his usual suited up attire and how odd of a look it was to see him dressed in nightwear. "Soup?"

"Yes, please," Elijah said.

She filled a bowl and placed it on the kitchen island with a spoon. 

"Thank you," he murmured. "I feel miserable."

"Emotionally or...?" she asked.

"Physically."

"So does Nik," she responded, furrowing a brow. "Is there some sort of Mikaelson plague that happens every century that I don't know about?"

"Sadly, no. There's nothing that explains this."

"I'm sure there is. We just don't know what it is yet."

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Honestly, I'm feeling fantastic. Maybe it's an engagement high, but I'm doing great."

"Congratulations, by the way."

"Thank you." She smiled. "Don't eat too fast, suit and tie."

She grabbed a bowl and spoon, exiting the kitchen and reentering Klaus's bedroom.

"I hope it's edible," Talia said with a smile.

"Even if it isn't it won't kill me," Klaus assured, sitting up in bed and graciously taking the bowl. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," she said, sitting beside him. "Apparently Elijah's feeling ill too."

"Odd," he said taking a spoonful of soup and eating it. "What do you know? It's edible."

"Good," she said, kissing his cheek. "Does chicken soup soothe the soul?"

"Didn't you hear? I haven't got one."

She chuckled. "Well, I'm sure it's deep down there somewhere."

He ate the soup and placed the bowl down on the nightstand when he was done, saying, "Thank you."

"Anytime," she said. "Do you want to stay in today?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"Well, if you think you're going anywhere, get dressed. I'm going first."