🚪 Chapter Twenty-eight

This update is dedicated to CurlyQuinn26 💕

Jean's POV:

"Jean-boy, are you awake now? Please come downstairs to eat breakfast!", I heard my mother call after a few knocks on my bedroom door.

I lazily kicked the duvet off of me and got myself up. After putting on the gray sweatpants and white shirt I wore the night before, I fixed my bed hair a bit and left my room.

"Morning, Mum.", I said, pulling a chair by the dining table.

"Did you sleep well?", asked my mother while placing a basket of apples and a plate of pancakes in front of me.

The question is...did I even sleep at all?

*flashback*

'April 26th' looks like an ordinary date to everyone, but not to me. Saying that I feared the day to come is an understatement. I'm praying it doesn't...or at least, not yet.

I scratched the back of my head as I rummaged the last four brain cells what else to write on this nonsense I've been working on. Hell, a little time off could help.

I slumped on my bed, trying to relax myself from the pressure I never realized was building up.

Okay. So what date today is? April 25th. So it will be the 26th tomorrow? Yes. Are you nervous as hell?

I didn't answer. I mean, it's pretty obvious. I let a quite loud sigh and decided to continue on whatever I was doing before.

I unlocked my phone. Opened an application. Tapped on the screen several times. Wrote on the paper almost full of scribbled words. Hummed a little. Tapped once again. Blacked out some shit I don't want to include anymore. Tapped and hummed for so many times till I lost count.

00:00am

It's officially April 26th. It's officially Cola's birthday. I'm officially screwed.

My eyes roamed around my boring room for no particular reason. This must be the start of becoming mental.

Crumpled papers scattered everywhere. A small mountain of apple cores on my desk. The smudged stain from throwing a pen mindlessly was still on my wall.

I definitely should clean up. So that's what I did. I copied everything on the torn piece of paper to a clean sheet and tried doing a one shot--one play. It wasn't that bad...or that's what I convinced myself to believe.

*end of flashback*

"So...you already know what day today is, right? Mum, I have a favour to ask. I was hoping you'd help...I don't know.", my mother already had a grin on her face before nodding.

So we sat ourselves on the couch and I handed her an old phone of mine. The screen was already on Messageher, just one tap close to give Cola a video call.

'You won't mess up.', I murmured repeatedly to myself while making sure everything was all set.

Paper? Check. Phone? Check. Mum with phone? Check. Cool hair? Check. Buttons up? Check. Jean? I don't know who that is.

I took a deep breath and gestured a go sign. "It's now or never, Mum!"

"You'll do great, Jean-boy!", the cameras were rolling and Cola's eyes weren't rolling. A sign of a good start, I guess?

I greeted her a happiest birthday. Mum did too. We talked for a while and I almost forgot what I was planning to do till I noticed my mother's hand were beginning to shake.

"Cola, I know you've recently started getting fond of trying this Kalimba app on your phone and I just thought of playing you a song with it. I downloaded the same app on my phone over here and I've been learning how to play.", I began.

She nodded and waited for me to continue. I pulled the paper on the table closer and began tapping my fingers on the phone screen. I was only using my thumb and forefinger, but saying 'fingers' sounded more professional.

"Hap(G) py(G) birth(A) day(G) to(C) you!(B)

Hap(G) py(G) birth(A) day(G) to(D) you!(C)

Hap(G) py(G) birth(G) day(E), dear(C) Co(B) la!(A)

Hap(F) py(F) birth(E) day(C) to(D) you!(C)"

I had my eyes closed in fear of seeing her reaction if I mess up till I finished and surprisingly, I didn't mess up a note. So I guess I can open my eyes now? She won't hate my face now?

"Hahahaha thank you ageyyn" and that's what I got from the other line. Ten points for Kirstein! I've never felt more alive.

"As much as I love making my daughter in law happy, my hands are already sleeping on me.", Mum gave me an apologetic smile before setting the old phone on the arm rest of her end.

I whispered a quick 'sorry' before adjusting myself a little bit to match the camera's height.

"Just keep it rolling though. I'm sure that wasn't all Jean-loverboy had planned for you, Cola.", Mum added just as I noticed Cola was about to say something. My mother didn't exactly 'leave me alone' in the living. She just pulled a stool and sat by the counter. Don't ask how I knew she was still going to watch.

I looked down at the paper with the nonsense I was writing about. Is this it? Am I really going to do this? Why am I still alive?

I was silently wishing the earth would just swallow my whole existence to avoid embarrassing myself in front of the most beautiful birthday girl in my life--that I almost forgot she was still on the other line.

"Jean? Hello? Ahm, you're kind of frozen. Is it because of the connection or?", great. I already embarrassed myself. Minus points for Kirstein!

"So...I wrote this as a gift and I don't know. It's not that cool, but I hope you'll like it.", the last part came out as a whisper. I looked one last time at Cola--at her luscious curly hair, her mesmerizing eyes, her kissable lips--just her whole face actually. Too deep in love with this girl, I'm so screwed.

"Now(D), we're sitting here(G) in your living room(D)(D)

Telling stories(D) while we share(G) a laugh or two(D)(D)

And there's a vision(A) I've been holding(B) in my mind(D)

We're 65(D) and you ask, "When(D) did I first know?"(G)

I always knew(D)

See(D) you standing in your(G) dress

Swear(B) in front of all(A) our friends

There'll never(D) be another(G)

I promise(B) that I'll love you for the rest(A) of my life

I(G) want(A) the world to witness(B)

When we finally(A) say I do(G)

It's the way(A) you love

I gotta(B) give it back(A) to you

I(G) can't promise(A) picket fences(B)

Or sunny(A) afternoons(G)

But, at night(A) when I close(B) my eyes(A)

See(D) you walking in all(G) white

Cathedral(B) under star(A) lit night

There'll never(D) be another(G)

I promise(B) that I'll love ya(A)

There'll never(D) be another(G)

I promise(B) that I'll love you(A) for the rest of my life"

I finished...playing. Singing. The camera from rolling. Breathing?

Whistle

I got an email from Last🗼da and Jeabee. The deliveries were already on their way.