🚪 Chapter Fifteen

Jean's POV:

Cola's been ignoring me ever since we left the beach.

I have to clear things up between us. Even though I honestly have no idea why she's been ignoring me, I don't want our situation remain this way.

I accompanied her on her way home. When we reached her place, the front door was locked and the lights were turned off.

"You've mentioned before that you don't bring any spare key of your house with you. Now that the doors are locked, what are we gonna do now?", I wondered.

"Ahm, Mama often leaves the key...", Cola replied as she bent over to reach down, "...under the mat. So we're saved."

"O-oh. T-that's a relief.", I said as I adjusted myself, trying my best not to let the image of her being over bother me. I wasn't looking at all. Yeah...I wouldn't do something like that...pff...fft.

We entered her house and she turned on the lights. I looked at the wall clock hanging in the living room and realized that it was already late. From what I've always heard from her, she's supposed to be in bed around this time.

I sighed as I sat on the couch when Cola headed straight upstairs. She's probably sleepy now too. When will we have a chance to talk?

Cola came out from her bedroom soon in her patterned pajamas. She was holding triangles and some other drawing materials. I stood up to offer help, but she chose to ignore me.

I sat back on the couch as I watched her place a few tech pens on the table, still ignoring me.

Well, at least, she's not yet going to bed. That's one way to go. Good luck! Hey, inner voice. Do you have any hunch why Cola's acting in like this? Don't ask me, Jean-boy. Your prob, not mine. Solve it by yourself!

I know that she's going to stay up late with the way things look. The big question is though...what did I do wrong to her?

I can't depend on my inner voice because that dude is worthless. I asked Cola what she was doing and why she isn't sleeping yet.

A wrong move. Cola kept ignoring me, acting like she doesn't see my presence at all. I frowned as I watched her tap on her phone. Whoever that was, I envy that person. She gives him attention and just ignores me.

Then, I heard a short whistle. It was a notification from my phone. I'm not really in the mood to pull out my phone from my pocket, so I let it whistle for a while.

I let out a weak sigh as I said, "Come on, talk to me Cola, what did I do now?", almost begging.

Whistle.

"Dont be so childish... and...immature and talk to me!", I yelled, exasperated.

I took a deep breath and was about to yell something esle when a notification was heard, once again. The sound echoed all over the living room.

Whistle.

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and opened it. I wish I didn't. I wish the earth would just crack open and swallow my whole existence now. I looked at my phone screen, to Cola, back to my phone again.

"Ur not my father, k?!"

"Exactly what you should not have and don't you dare sigh near me! Dense h...uman!"

"One more word from you and you'll definitely know how much of a child I am! 😠"

HER TWEETS SECONDS AGO. HER ANSWERS to everything I said SECONDS AGO.

I covered my mouth with the back of my hand, stopping myself from uttering another word or curse or any sound that would worsen the situation.

With my elbows pressed on my knees and my heavy temple on my balled fists, I began to dig up some memories that would explain this mess. I tried to remember any reason behind this. I tried to think of possible ways to make up to her. I tried.

I looked up at my fiancee, who was having a hard time keeping her eyes open.

I quickly opened my phone browser and searched tips on how to stay awake effectively. An article about an apple popped up.

I went to the kitchen and opened their fridge. Luckily, I found an apple. I sliced and shaped it into rabbit, after washing with the tap.

I returned to the living room only to find Cola already asleep. I can't help but smile at the sight of a curly princess sleeping peacefully.

I thought of an idea. It's corny, but maybe worth a try. I went back to the kitchen to look for some sticky notes.

Where was it again? I think I saw it here somewhere.

I lifted up some recipe books on the counter and found myself a pink pad and a small pen. I swear my face was red as apple when I began writing.

I went back to the living room and placed the plate with rabbit apples on top of the table. I slid the pink memo I wrote on too.

"Hmm...mm?", I heard Cola mumble, shifting a bit in her sleep.

The smile formed on my lips turned into a frown the moment she woke uo. Back to Cola keeping herself busy with paper works and me, watching her in defeat from the couch. Great.

I sighed before whispering, "Eat all this okay? I learned that apples could help you stay awake. But please try to sleep when you can. Good night C."