Chapter 13

Tw: swearing, alcohol, blood

Simon

While I'm digging through his cupboards looking for glasses, I try to think about how I really feel about Baz. He's in the next room showering off someone else's come and sweat and I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that. Actually, I do, I'm mad. Who does he think he is making me wait in his flat for him?

Baz

I exit the washroom and expect to see Simon in the front room, on the sofa. I'm only wearing a towel, and I'm going to put on some sweats, but I want to make sure Simon is okay first.

I walk into the kitchen and see him just standing, staring into the cupboard but not moving. "You okay?" I ask. Simon turns on me and I'm almost scared.

"Not really actually. The fact that you were late, even though you made the plans, shows a lot about where you'd rather spend your time! You'd rather be fucking someone who's paying you, than, than..." he trails off, he doesn't even know what we are. "This?" At least he finished his sentence.

"Simon, it's work. It makes sense that you're mad because I was late, but this doesn't sound like it's about me being late!" I shoot back.

"Then what is it about?" He grinds his jaw when he gets mad, it would be cute if I wasn't having the same argument with him that I've had with every person I've ever tried to date.

"You don't like my work," I explain to him.

"I don't care what you do" his voice has calmed down a bit, but he still sounds defensive.

"If I worked somewhere else like a grocery store, you would not be this upset. You're upset because you think I care more about my customers than I care about you, and that's not true. My customers are how I make money. A shop clerk doesn't stay late because they really care about stocking the shelf properly, they stay so they get paid." That's all it is for me, and others probably see it differently, but honestly, that's all my job is to me.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yes, my customers are just as important to me as a shelf at a shop" I smile when I see understanding flicker across his face.

"Okay" Simon lets out a breath and looks up at me apologetically. "Sorry" he frowns.

"It's okay" I rest my hands on his shoulders and pull him a little closer. I was going to kiss him, but he takes it as an invitation for a hug. I hold him for a couple of seconds before letting go. "I was going to kiss you, would that have been okay?" I ask and feel Simon tense, I'm going to take that as a no. He takes a step back and looks up at me, his face red, and his eyes looking a bit taken off guard.

"Yeah sorry, that's embarrassing" he scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. I realize he tensed up because he thought it was weird that he hugged me.

"No it's okay" I laugh and press my lips against his. "Let's go watch a movie" I grab his hand and he follows me, still looking dazed. I find it incredibly interesting that he wasn't taken aback by my lack of clothes, I'm not sure if he really even noticed.

• • •

I've changed into sweats and, and Simon is currently resting his head on my shoulder. It's getting late, in fact, I think the sun is about to rise, and I'm nowhere close to being tired. Simon and I have been talking non-stop and I really enjoy his company. "Wait, Simon. How did you get here?" I ask.

"I drove" he shrugs, and accidentally knocks over the (now empty) wine bottle, I try to catch it, but it still ends up smashing onto the hardwood. "Shit sorry"