Chapter 7

Simon

I'm following google maps to the coffee shop we're supposed to meet at, I'm only a couple of minutes away now and I'm terrified. I'm not sure what to expect, is he going to look different? Is he going to act differently? How am I supposed to say hello? Shaking his hand is weirdly formal, and a hug might be too much.... maybe? He has sex with strangers, a hug probably won't be too invasive, unless he secretly hates them but just doesn't say-

I'm in the coffee shop, shit.

I scan the room and see him looking up at me, he waves his hand to get my attention and I walk over. I don't know why I'm nervous... that's a lie. I've never been on a real date before. That's stupid, this isn't even a date, it couldn't be a date.

Why do I want it to be a date?!

"Hey" he stands up to hug me.

"Hi," I notice how he gives really nice hugs.

We sit and order our respective drinks, of course, Baz drinks black coffee. I'm not sure if I should be surprised by the way he looks, he's wearing a grey crewneck and his hair is tidily brushed back. He looks so different, but he's still the man I met two nights ago.

"You look good" he smiles, and I'm taken back by that.

"Thanks, so do you" I blush.

We fall into an easy conversation, and I'm starting to realize how much I really enjoy his company. I'm also starting to recognize how attractive he is, every time he takes a sip of his drink he wipes his mouth with his hand, and it's adorable.

I find out that he's in school for criminology and somehow doesn't get squeamish at the sight of blood like I do. It's really nice getting to chat with him, but one question has been nagging at me this whole time.

"Can I ask you a question?" I force myself to ask it like I'm ripping off a bandaid.

"Sure" he smiles encouragingly, he's so calm.

"I'm sorry, but I'm kind of confused why did you want my number? Like don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we're hanging out, you're great, I'm just confused" I try to word it in a way that doesn't sound like I'm fishing for compliments, but I think Baz is just confused.

"I'm not quite sure what you're asking me...?" I really regret asking now.

"It's just that you meet hundreds of people at your job, and I get the feeling that you probably don't treat them all like you treat me, and I was just wondering why," I think I've cleared it up, Baz looks more amused than confused, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

"Oh. So you're wanting me to tell you about all the wonderful things I've picked up on about you, and why I want to get to know you better?" He asks crossing his arms. I can't tell if he's joking.

"No! I mean kind of? I don't really know.."

"I'm just joking, calm down" he laughs, picking up his cup again.

"Okay," I nod because I don't know what else to say.

"Simon, I wanted to ask you out because I really like the way you carry yourself. And I don't know...you stood out, I don't usually meet people like you" he explains, and I have to force myself to not be too obvious with how happy that made me.

"Oh" I smile, and Baz matches it. "That's super nice, thanks" I take a sip of my latte to busy myself.

"Okay now tell me all the wonderful things about me you notice" he rests his chin on the back of his hands. We both laugh and I'm surprised by how contagious his confidence is.

• • •

"Well I've got to get home, I told my roommates I'd be home soon, and I wouldn't want them to think you've kidnapped me" He laughs at my concerned expression, I'm definitely still not used to his humour.

I walk with him to his bus stop, and when I'm about you wave goodbye, he pulls me into a hug. It's short and nice but still takes me by surprise. "You have my number, call me" he smiles.

"I will" I assure him.

________________________________
while I'm posting this, there's literally 7 views on the last chapter, so voting and commenting really helps let me know if you guys are enjoying the story so far. :)