10. I Hate You (not)

The retreat to wall Rose was another round of hell. We were injured and miserable as were criticized and looked down upon. I watched as the dead soldiers' family members desperately search through the crowd. I couldn't help but let the tears stream down my face.

And then, I saw a man walk up to Levi.

"Captain Levi!" He said relieved. "I'm Petra's father. My daughter has talked a lot about you in this letter! She even said that she was going to devote herself to you. But as a father I think it's too early for her to marry." He let out an uneasy chuckle.

Levi remained quiet with his back straight.

Receiving no answer, he then began to panic as he looked around for anyone else. My heart broke as I hear him in the crowd.

-

I brought Levi's tea since Petra couldn't be here to make it no more. I knocked on his door.

"Name and business." He said.

"(Y/n), sir." I tried to sound normal. "Tea."

"Come in."

He looked up at me from his papers. His expression was as calm and stoic as always.

Does he ever show emotions? He used to be more expressive back in the Underground City. Though it's not like he was that expressive. Maybe this is what suits him best. I don't know.

"Captain..." I said. "Why did you leave them?"

He looked at me from his tea. I felt the emotions I've been bottling up rise up inside me as it nests itself in my throat.

"Why did you make us throw out the bodies?"

"(Y/n)." His tone a bit harsh.

"Why didn't you say anything to Petra's father? I feel so bad for the man. He didn't get to hear anything. You just left him standing."

Large droplets of tears fell from my eyes.

"She loves you so much!" I stared at the ground. "You guys were going to get married?"

Levi got up and held my hand but I pushed him away. I didn't know what I wanted. There was pain but there was also heartbreak. I felt so small and alone. Everyone just keeps leaving me.

"Is that why you abandoned me? Because a brat like me clinging to you was annoying?!"

"Calm down." He said.

"I hate you!" I shouted.

His face that is always calm and expressionless broke a little. His eyes wavered and I felt pain in my heart. I couldn't stand myself. What is it that I want to do? I then ran out of his office, covering my tear streaked face.