12. There is Light

Under the lights of the Underground City, I wandered outside. Memories of my home circulated in my mind as I felt a deep sadness.

Mom was strict but she loved me with all her heart. Dad had left home but that's because he was making money for us on the surface world. Mom always talks to me about how he will come for us one day to take us away from this hell hole.

The Underground City has always been a horrible place for me. I found no light and only darkness. Darkness darker than the night, human darkness. I'm sure that I have it within me, too. After all, I'm like them. A human.

"Little girl." I looked to see two filthy men appear before me. "Where's your house?"

They disguised as my parents' friends. I know, because they said parents but my dad never did make friends here. And he certainly isn't here no more.

Mom, dad isn't coming back. He's left us to enjoy himself on the surface world. I'm sure that he even got himself several mistresses while doing so. So hate him. Hate him for leaving you behind and everything that's about to happen is his FAULT!

"That way." I pointed.

-

It was all my fault.

Soon I felt afraid of the darkness inside me.

I laid on the steps, stupidly waiting for mom to come back. I could feel myself growing weaker each day until I could barely even lift myself up.

'This is how I die.' I thought.

I didn't mind.

Its okay if I die. I knew that I was disposable. Its better to die here, the very place where my darkness had started. I'm sure that there is no light to save me. Especially not here in the Underground City.

"Oi."

My ears perked up, but I was too weak to pay it any attention.

-

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself in a clean room. I noticed that I was cleaned up and in clean clothes. And then an unfamiliar guy walked in. I took notice of his peculiar eyes as he nears me.

"You okay?" I shuddered a little from his emotionless voice.

I nodded slowly.

He then fed me and took care of me.

The next day, I decided to walk back to my house only to be attacked by one of the thugs on the streets. I still remember his ratchet breath and his slimy white hair. He stripped my pants off after lifting my shirt up to reveal my immature breasts. My mouth was covered by his hand and I couldn't scream. A dirty kid like me couldn't even struggle.

I closed my eyes as I readied myself for the horrible fate. It never came and instead, I heard a painful scream and opened my eyes to see the old man on the ground. Levi then entered my field of vision as he kicked the man unconscious. He then walked to me, extending a hand out. Though still shaken, I took hold of his hand.

It was warm.

"Lets go." He said.

He tugged my hand but I didn't budge.

"You shouldn't have bothered with me." My voice quivered. "I'm...I'm no good."

He didn't say anything and I continued.

It was weird. For some reason, I spilled my inner thoughts right in front of this guy who I barely even knew. The stories of my mom and my dad. And how I killed them. The darkness within me and the Underground City.

There was nothing for me here. It didn't matter if I died.

After spilling my thoughts out, I realized of how much I said and felt ashamed of myself.

'I'm so weak.' I thought.

I expected him to laugh, but his expression remained the same. No expression.

I hung my head.

Yeah, no one cares.

I felt hopeless.

He squeezed my hand and I looked up at him.

"I don't personally know you, but if you can only evaluate your life just between your house and this place, then too bad." He says. "I don't know what meaning my life has. I was just brought into this world. But I survive each day because life is precious. And you might just find something that keeps you going."

He tugs my hand once again and I was pulled along.

I don't understand. But as I looked upon his back, I felt like I saw light.