20. Misunderstanding

It was the day after.

Meanwhile everyone was outside wall Rose trying to get Eren back, I stayed in a room inside a cabin. I rested in a bed and kept myself hydrated. And Levi was here. He helped check up on me. He carried a nonchalant expression as per usual.

-

"Captain?" I looked at him at the door.

He glanced at me and then walked up to me. He pulled a chair and sat down next to my bedside.

"John's in the cell." He says. "He'll be there for life."

I stared at Levi, grasping my hands on my blanket.

"He won't get to you no more." Levi says softly. "Besides, you are stronger than he is. Be confident."

Levi stares at me as I stare at my blanket. His stare made me feel a bit squishy inside. But he didn't feel the same.

I turned to him.

"Why...why did you save me back then...Levi?" I asked.

"Back when?" He looks at me confused.

"When I was just a little kid that's about to die on my front steps." I almost chuckled at how ridiculous it sounded.

"You were like me." He says.

I looked at him, asking him to go on from my eyes.

"My mom died from a disease." He continues. "I was starving next to her dead body until Kenny came."

"Kenny?"

"Probably someone related to my mom."

"Where is he now?"

Levi looks down and rubs the arch of his nose. "He left me one day."

My heart aches at the sad tone of his voice. I stretched my hand out and held his hand. He held mine back, squeezing it tight. It was all quiet until Eren, Mikasa, and Armin comes in. Lily follows behind. Levi seems to come back from his daze and moves his hand away.

"C...Captain." Eren says.

Lily walks up to Captain next to me. "How's your leg?" She asks and then. "And how's your head, (y/n)?"

Levi leaves the room after answering Lily.

Mikasa stares at Levi with a slight glare. Armin looks uneasily while Eren talks to me about what happened yesterday.

When everyone left, I walked out my room for some light walking. When I turned, I bumped into Eren.

"Oh, sorry, Eren." I chuckled. "You're still here?"

"I want to tell you something." He say, staring straight at me.

I tensed up at how serious he looked.

"What is it...?" I asked.

"I like you." He confesses.

"I like you, too." I said uneasily. "Anyway-"

SLAM

He enclosed me in his arms suddenly. My heartbeat quickened as I start to feel the same fear inside me with John. It didn't help that the hallway was not well-lit.

Meeting Eren's fierce eyes, I instinctively cowered and protected myself with my arms. Eren stepped back a little by my actions while his arms didn't move.

The next moment, I heard a blow and him hitting the ground. I turned to see Levi making his way to Eren and held him by his collar.

"You motherfucking JEAGER

"You motherfucking JEAGER." Levi curses. "What were you about to do to her!"

"Captain..." Eren then clenched his hands into fists. "You...you're the one doing stuff to (y/n)! You pushed her to the ground and made her cry!"

Levi stares at Eren with his brows furrowed deeply.

"You little shit." Levi mouths.

Levi's glare is actually quite attractive. But I need to stop them and oh, please don't hurt each other.

I quickly walked to them.

"Lev-Captain, calm down!" I said.

"Don't need to stand up for him." Eren says. "I'll protect you. Didn't I promise you? That I'll protect you from him if he tries anything funny on you?" Eren flashes me a smile.

Levi turns to me.

I paused at his expression.

He looks a little...hurt?

I then realized and gasped.

"Le-Captain!" I said. "T-Tha-"

"Shut up!" He cuts me off.

"Captain!" I called.

"Go have fun with your Jeager boy." He says with his head turned slightly.

Eren rubs the spot Levi punched him and walks next to me.

"Jeez." Eren says. "What's his problem?" He then turns to me. "Are you alright, (y/n)?"

"Yeah..." I nodded.

"Um, (y/n)..." he rubs his head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay, Eren." I said.

I stared at the door that Levi left from. I couldn't erase his hurt look from my mind.