22. Stars

"It's a mosquito bite." I lied. "Oh god, so itchy!" I start scratching at it. "I was out in the woods, heheh."

"Why?" Lily looks at me.

"W-Well..." Levi's words suddenly flashed through my head. "Taking a dump."

"But there's a bathroom downstairs." Lily says.

"Oh, really?" I looked shocked. "I didn't know!"

"Didn't you just use it this morning?"

"Okay, come on. Lets get back to cleaning." I said and covered the hickey with my hair. Hopefully no one else notices.

"Why you lying?" The air stills at her sudden question.

The hair behind my neck stands up at her interrogating tone.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"You're so weird!" Lily giggles. "Come. Let's go."

The whole time I was cleaning, I felt uneasy.

What was that? Maybe Lily was going through a transformation. She's still in her teenage hood after all.

After cleaning, I slept as to recover from my head injury. I wasn't sure how long I slept for, but the sun was setting when I woke up. I heard shuffling outside the door and opened it up to see Levi and Eren with their arms tangled up.

I uttered a uneasy smile.

Downstairs, the door creaked open and I heard Hange's familiar yelling before it suddenly got serious.

"Where are you, Levi?" She called.

We came down and we all gathered at the table as news of Pastor Nick's death is delivered. Hange then hands Levi a slip of paper. He was still before ordering us to leave without a trace left behind.

Atop the hill, there was a horde of MP surrounding the cabin. God knows what would have happened if we had not gotten out in time. With the fact that they're trying to obtain Eren and Historia, it was decided that we will be going to Trost District.

-

"Levi." I called.

"What?" He responds from beside me.

"I read a book." I said.

"Mm."

"I found out that the night sky is filled with bright little specks of light called stars!" My eyes sparkled. "What do you think it looks like?"

I stared up at the dirty roof of the underground city. Most of the lights were off which means that it's night.

"That's ridiculous." Levi says. "It's not as if we'll ever get to see the surface world."

"Hey! You never know." I smiled warmly. "Let's watch the starry night sky together, Levi."

"If that's what you want." He looks at me softly.

"It's a promise!" I held out my pinky.

"Yes, sure." Levi held his out and we wrapped our pinkies together, sealing the promise with the touch of our thumb.

But to be honest, I didn't need to see the stars

But to be honest, I didn't need to see the stars. Because, even in the dark, I'm not scared when you're with me. You are my brightest star, after all, Levi!

.....

But I'm not saying that I don't want to see the stars together though.

......

......

I woke up.

I groaned as I recalled that promise.

I stared up at the night sky before me and awed at how especially beautiful the stars looked tonight. Around me, everyone was asleep while wrapped in their little blanket. I lay staring at the stars and then heard some voices. I slowly got up, careful not to make a noise. I walked through the trees to find a rather open area where the stars were much more visible. I then saw Levi's silhouette and then Lily's. They sat together in the grass with their head raised.

"Captain." Lily says happily. "You really love the stars, don't you?"

"Not really." Levi responds. "It just brings memories." His voice carried a sadness behind it.

I watch behind the trees as Lily inches closer to Levi. She mutters something in his ear and looks away bashfully. After a moment of silence, Levi raises his hand and pats Lily's head.

I walked back quietly to my blanket.

"(Y/n)?" Eren rubs his eyes. "Can't sleep?"

"Sorry for waking you up, Eren." I said.

"It's okay." He raises himself up. "Look. The stars are pretty tonight." He smiles at me.

"They are." I smiled.

"If you can't sleep, want to watch the stars with me?" Eren says.

"Sure..." I said.

I thought we'd watch the stars here but instead, he held my hand and guides me to the same opening I came to earlier. I tensed up a bit but I didn't see them.

We sat down on the grass. I held my legs with my arms as I look up. I then lowered my gaze, feeling a bit better, but I met eyes with Levi from across the opening. I felt my breath hitch and my heartbeat quicken. My eyes blurred and my side vision darkens.

What am I feeling?

Fear? Guilt? Uneasiness?

Lily was leaning on him asleep. Eren beside me was muttering a bunch of nothings while my sensory field narrows down on Levi's face. He carried that same expressionless face, but who knows what goes on underneath that calm facade of his.

 He carried that same expressionless face, but who knows what goes on underneath that calm facade of his