16. Complicated

"I never did." He says.

His arms held tightly around me, pulling me closer.

"I never abandoned you." His voice was low and husky as he strokes my hair.

"What happened back then?"

"One day, you just disappeared." He says. "I searched everywhere, but I couldn't find you."

'Because I was on the surface world.' I thought.

"I thought you died." His voice carried a deep sadness and he furrowed his brows. "Just like everyone else."

Levi...

"I'm sorry." I held him tight. "I didn't even try to understand you."

It felt unreal. The way his body weighed against mine and the sensation of his rising and falling chest as he breathes tells me that he's real. My years of being locked by John in that dark place felt like it was nothing more than a nightmare.

"You see," I began. "I know that guy. The fat one."

I begin to tell Levi of what happened. How when I was taken by an old man named John, I caught a brief glance of him and Isabel and Farlan holding a large sum of money. Apparently that money was saved to distribute between their buddies and their medical care. I then talked about how I was brought to a building and locked in a closet before I was kept in a room with two other girls. I shared some details of how John touched me and the night where I escaped with the other two girls. One of them is Ame and the other, Lily, who is here now. Then the day, five years ago, where the colossal titan appeared and how I came to join the Survey Corps.

Levi listened quietly, ever so clenching his fist during the parts about John.

"He touched you." His voice visibly upset.

"He's...never kissed me on the mouth before though." I blushed and then smiled a little. "You were my first..."

Levi expression shifted slightly with his eyes a bit wider. He stared at me and I stared at him. There's a weird feeling in my chest again and it feels nice being in his arms.

I raised myself up, closed my eyes, and kissed him. Just like the first time, his lips are so soft and warm. It felt like magic. I felt tingling like sparks of electricity running through me. I could get addicted to this.

As I moved towards him more, he suddenly backed away.

His expression was confusing and I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"Levi?" I mouthed.

He was silent, looking at the side of the bed.

"I only saved you." He says in a low voice. "Don't be foolish. Come on, we have to capture Annie today. Be ready."

Leaving me with those words, I watched as he brought my freshly cleaned uniform and set it beside me.

"...Levi?" I said once again, but lower.

It felt as though I was losing him even though he is right there in front of me. If I could just reach my hands, I could grab a hold of him. But my arms felt heavy and I didn't move. The only thing I could do was stare at my uniform and later picking it up when Levi gave me privacy to change.

________________________