038

"I hate to be that guy again," Jawn speaks up, glancing from Awsten to Grace , "but these two have some major things to work out so lets go.  Anyone up for some food?"  "Wow, you know the way to my heart," Jack responds dramatically, "let's go fuckin' eat!"  "You too, lover boy," Jawn adds to Otto, "cute as y'all are together those two have some shit to settle on their own."  "It's okay," Grace assures Otto quietly, giving him a reassuring squeeze to his hand before releasing her hold on it.  He hesitates a moment before letting go too, kissing her cheek quickly and waving awkwardly to Awsten before meeting the rest of the group where they're waiting in the hallway, closing the door behind himself.  Grace then focuses her attention on Awsten, who suddenly finds himself unable to hide the fact that he'd rather be anywhere else right now.  His mind flashes back to the joke the woman, Amelia according to the paper with her phone number, had made on the plane about Awsten wanting to throw himself into the ocean.  He finds himself really wanting to do that right now.  "So, you and Otto," he remarks, his voice breaking despite his best attempts to keep it steady, "you guys are good for each other."  "Drop the bullshit, Awsten," Grace says bluntly, shocking Awsten.  He almost smiles, never having heard her curse before.  Her voice is far too soft for such harsh words, providing an almost amusing contrast.  "Are you going to be okay with Otto and me?"  "Are you gonna not date him if I say I'm not," Awsten shoots back instead of answering.  "Yeah," she answers honestly, "I like him a lot and I want to give us a shot but, at the end of the day, you're my best friend and I don't ever want to hurt you.  If this hurts you, I won't do it."  "I'm fine with you guys being together, Grace ," he assures her, though it's not entirely true.  It's not a complete lie either; the statement has a home somewhere in the messy middle ground between honesty and deception.  "I'm happy for you guys."  "Then why do you look so sad?" Grace inquires, her voice somehow even softer now, full of concern.  Awsten's heart aches as his mind tears itself apart.  He hates himself for never having fallen for her.  She's exactly the kind of person he always wanted but he never wanted her.  Now, it's too late to think about any of what might have been because she has someone else; someone who Awsten sees as far better than he is.  "I'm not sad," Awsten lies, doing a very poor job at it.  "Awsten, be honest.  Please," Grace's worry only increases with Awsten's lie.  "You know I'm here for you, no matter what."  "Yeah," Awsten mumbles, "yeah, I know.  That's part of the issue here."