Five

Rosalyn

Every morning, Rosalyn's mother made her and Vivienne sit down and converse before the day started.

Ever since the Bonavich family came to the Capitol, Rosalyn's mother required sit-down time with her daughters. Rosalyn thought her mother was just bored, but really, it was to spend time with her daughters, and not her soldiers in training. Rosalyn and Vivienne were busy all day and never stopped moving, so in the morning before they left, the three women would chat.

Rosalyn sat in her usual spot; a velvet maroon couch next to the fireplace, her legs crisscrossed on the seat. Vivienne and her mother sat across from Rosalyn, sharing a longer couch. Rosalyn cupped her hands around her mug, sipping on coffee with a little too much creamer.

She didn't mind this part of her day. In fact, she enjoyed it. However, Rosalyn was on edge today. Soon, her father would see Subject Zero, and the outcome would not be good. She wanted to go and see if Malakai had understood her warning.

"I'm throwing that dress away that I wore last night."

Rosalyn looked up at Vivienne, giving her a glare, but she was not paying attention to her sister but rather their mother.

"Why?" Rosalyn's mother turned to Vivienne, a clear shocked expression on her face.

"It was so ugly. It made my body look like an actual box—"

"Welcome to my world," Rosalyn stated, gesturing to her frame.

Vivienne smirked, but their mother shushed the two. "No more of this nonsense, girls. Viv, try the dress once more."

Vivienne shrugged while setting down her coffee, and their mother scoffed. Serenity Bonavich was a portrait of beauty. Her skin was smooth, its brown complexion bringing out the golden hues in her eyes. Her buzz cut hair was still thick and rich, and since there was no hair outlining her face, her jawline stuck out. Their mother had sharp features, and she was a strong woman, but she was also gifted with the presence of grace and peace. She was alluring, and she gained the respect she deserved.

"Where did you sneak off to during the party?" Vivienne asked, her eyes rested on Rosalyn.

Her mother subtly nodded. "I recognized your disappearance as well, Rosa. Were you feeling unwell?"

Her mother always had the benefit of the doubt. She set up the excuse well for Rosalyn. "I left early and went to my room. I thought it was maybe something I ate."

"We ate the same thing," Vivienne said, crossing her arms as she leaned back into the couch.

"I went back for seconds."

"I'll warn the chefs," their mother said. "You should take it easy today, Rosa."

Rosalyn shifted in her seat. "I was planning on it. I was just going to observe the subjects—"

"She's just making an excuse to get out of the work and into the fun. I can catch a lie like that from anywhere."

"Viv," their mother said. She rested a hand on Vivienne's shoulder. "I'm sure you both can see the subjects, but your father has a lot on his plate right now. Just be cautious of that."

"Of course," Rosalyn said. She set her coffee down. She had enough energy already from last nights events. She rarely lied to her family. Seeing Subject Zero was a big deal, and it was something her father would be very upset about. She could barely understand why she went and saw him herself. And the fact was, she enjoyed talking to him. He seemed kindhearted, and it made Rosalyn realize he was only an innocent boy trapped with a monstrous power.