Twenty-Four

Malakai

Kai joined Ingrid again the next morning for another mini Bible study.

While he tried to listen, he was distracted as the others slowly migrated into the kitchen, joining them at the table. Eventually, Ingrid had to stop as everybody crowded in, and breakfast was served. Many fended for themselves, grabbing whatever they felt like eating, breakfast foods or not.

The conversations were scattered. Miriam, Becks, and Farrah joined at the table, while the rest stood around the counter, some sitting on stools. Kai realized he had been casually turning his head to see if Rosalyn was alright, but she was standing by Seb, and she seemed comfortable. Kai remained quiet as Farrah rambled on with questions for Ingrid. But as he sat there and occasionally glanced at Rosalyn, he could sense Miriam noticing him doing so.

Miriam's stare did not end, even when breakfast was over and Ingrid went over the rules again. It was a stare that she wanted him to notice, so after Ingrid was done talking and Miriam walked into her room, Kai followed.

He closed the door behind him, and Miriam stood, arms crossed, icy eyes searching through Kai. He knew that look.

"No," he pressed. "No using powers."

"Why?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "Afraid of what I'll find?"

He took a step closer so they were only a foot away, and he stared down at her. With Miriam, sometimes he had to shift his character. He was usually never the blunt, crass type, but with Miriam he had to be. But she was used to seeing him like this. They had three years to learn how one another responded to certain actions, and being stern was the one thing that could get some of her attention.

Miriam scoffed. "I don't even need to read your mind to know what's going on. What makes you so protective over her, Kai?"

"What makes you carry so much hatred towards her?" Kai replied.

"Oh?" Miriam said. "Maybe, just maybe, it's because she's an enemy!"

She shoved him, and Kai didn't fight as he hit the wall. He kept his back pressed against it as Miriam took a step forward. Kai only crossed his arms and took a deep breath. He knew he had to be calm, especially when Miriam was full of this much rage. Although it wasn't entirely fair; Kai wanted to switch roles for once, but that wouldn't work; it would only fuel her anger, so he used his words instead.

"You judge where she came from, and you know that's not fair. You know it. We know how that feels."

"I read her mind that day, Kai. She was unsure. Very unsure."

"So? She made her mind and now she's sure—"

Miriam raised her eyebrows, glaring at him with her hauntingly beautiful eyes. Sometimes her stare was more deadly than her words, but Kai remained in his place, patiently waiting.

Miriam finally rubbed a hand over her narrowed face. "You put your faith in the wrong people, Kai. You hope and search for the good, but you know the chance of finding it is slim."

She was right, but he also didn't care. "She helped us escape, and that's that. That least you could do is stop scolding her. She left her family to help us, and I have respect for that. You should too."

"She doesn't know anything about us," Miriam said. He knew she was referring to the subjects. "She doesn't know who we are or what we've been through—"

"And that is alright," Kai said. His hand rested on Miriam's shoulder. "She doesn't know, but I do. We're all still together; there's just a few extra faces. I promise you, Rosalyn is safe. So is Ingrid."