Seven

Rosalyn

Rosalyn had never seen her sister in such a panic.

The entire East Capitol was in an uproar, but Vivienne was filled with panicked anxiety. When Rosalyn found out the news, she was not as panicked as her sister, but in utter stock.

Isaac Bonavich had been shot.

He had been recording his speech when a gunshot appeared from a near building. The shooter was unknown, but her father was fighting for his life. The news spread, and Rosalyn and Vivienne overheard. Soldiers had already made their way, but the daughters were not allowed to go. Vivienne didn't care.

"We have to go. We have to go," Vivienne panted. They were just outside the subjects's room.

"They said no—"

"They have no right to tell us no," Vivienne sneered. "We're family."

Rosalyn nodded. "Then let's go."

Vivienne was about to walk, but stopped herself. She was sweating, and her eyes were glossed over. "He got shot in the stomach, Rosa. What if—"

"Stop," Rosalyn blurted. She did not want to hear it. She was still in shock, yes, but she was very aware. Her father had been shot, and it could be a matter of minutes to find out is the shot was fatal. Her throat choked up. "Let's just go. We have professional doctors, Vivie. We have to trust them."

Vivienne wiped her tears as she stared wide at Rosalyn. Something clicked in her mind, and her body went into shock. Rosalyn waited for her next steps.

All of a sudden, Vivienne pulled her handgun out of her belt, and she started to walk to the subjects' room. Rosalyn grabbed her sisters shoulder.

"Vivie!"

She shook Rosalyn off easily. Rosalyn followed her into the room, and gasped when she opened the door right to the subjects room.

The three subjects were sleeping. Sebastian was on his back, a hand rested over his stomach. Hyemi and Malakai were straight ahead. Malakai was slumped against the wall, his long legs sprawled out. Hyemi laid on her side, and her head rested on Malakai's lap. They looked peaceful, but things started to fall apart as Vivienne lifted the gun.

Malakai slipped Hyemi off his lap as he covered her body with his. He pushed himself in front of her as he looked at the barrel of the gun, his emerald eyes wide, tired but confused.

"Close your hands," Vivienne ordered. "Close them!"

"Okay, okay." Malakai closed his hands into fists as he went onto his knees.

"Vivie, stop—"

"What's going on?" Sebastian asked. The three subjects were completely lost, and Vivienne was not showing any sympathy. Or an explanation.

"Get up, Zero." Vivienne sneered. Malakai stood, his fists tightly closed. His eyes were tired, and his bones cracked as he stood. The gun kept him alert, and Rosalyn's body shivered at her sisters behavior. It reminded her of their father.

"He's coming with us," Vivienne nodded at Rosalyn. "Get behind him as we walk. Let's go. Move it."

Malakai took careful steps forward. Vivienne jumped ahead and grabbed Malakai forcefully, her hand tight around the nape of his neck. Rosalyn pressed her lips together as she walked behind Malakai and closed the door behind her, leaving the other subjects clueless.

Malakai stumbled along, his eyes scanning his surroundings. Rosalyn could tell he was trying to take in as much setting as he could. She realized, as the three of them ran outside, that they had bluntly showed him an escape route. But Vivienne didn't think of it, and Rosalyn didn't care. Their father was in danger, and Rosalyn knew why her sister had grabbed Malakai. They needed a miracle.