Fifteen

Rosalyn

The next morning, Rosalyn and Vivienne sat together on the long velvet couch and chatted, but escape was the only thing preoccupying Rosalyn's mind.

Vivienne had done a great job distracting her. She stood up to tell a story, and Rosalyn looked up at her with her eyebrows raised. Their mother was already out and about, so the sisters had their own morning sit-down time.

"Okay, Rosa. Remember that one soldier who I kind of liked?"

Rosalyn rolled her eyes. She had heard enough of Vivienne's boyfriend stories in her lifetime. "The one still in training?"

"Yes!" Vivienne nodded. "Anyway, I was jogging with him at the track, and the man trips!"

"Trips?"

"Trips," Vivienne repeated. "So, naturally, I reach for his hand to help him up. And guess what?"

Rosalyn laughed a little. "What."

"He tries to pull me down with him! Like, it was some cheesy romantic scene where we would both fall and laugh and love one another."

"You are so not like that—"

"I know," Vivienne said. She was standing and recreating the actions, most likely dramatizing the entire story. Rosalyn was laughing anyhow.

"So, what did you do?"

"Well, I dropped his hand and left his ass on the track."

"Vivie!" Rosalyn shouted. "Really?"

Vivienne nodded as she suppressed a laugh. Both of the girls were trained soldiers, yes, but Rosalyn loved when they could be true sisters. She could see her sisters true side; playful, entertaining, strutting around without a worry in the world.

"Anyway," Vivienne plopped herself on the couch. "What's up with you?"

I'm running away today. "Same old stuff."

Vivienne's eyebrows raised, offering her an amused look. "Oh really? So bringing Zero out to the garden is 'same old stuff'?"

Rosalyn paused as she looked at her sister. She could barely form any words. Did she know about today? Had she caught on?

"Relax," Vivienne said. "Mother told me she found you guys in the greenhouse with Ingrid."

Her face reddened. "I just thought he needed some air."

"I've seen you talking to him more and more, Rosa."

"No—"

Vivienne gasp as she grabbed Rosalyn's arm. "Wait a minute—is that where you went when you left during the celebration? To see Zero?"

As she paused again, Vivienne freaked out. "No way! What is this? Another cheesy love story?"

"No, Viv." Rosalyn snapped. She sighed again, forcing out a half lie. "You know Ingrid and her beliefs. I'm trying to be nice to the subjects, for her sake."

"Sure, sure." Vivienne winked, and Rosalyn shoved her roughly. They were both smiling, though, but suddenly Vivienne sat up straight and bit her cheeks. It was as if her emotions utterly shifted, and she was no longer the playful, snarky sister she was only seconds ago. Rosalyn rarely saw her sister like this.

"What's wrong?" Rosalyn asked. She glanced at the time. She would have to leave soon. She would have to leave her life that she knew felt safe.

Vivienne shook her head. "I'm a real idiot for hurting Zero like that."