Twenty-Eight

Malakai

"You seem tired, little one."

Benedict Lee's cold fingers gently cupped and angled Kai's chin upwards. He examined Subject Zero, tilting his head as his eyes scanned the boy up and down. Kai was on his back, his bare back on the metal table, staring up at the man.

Benedict was right—he was exhausted today. But although he was tired, he was impatient. Benedict was in a good mood, it seemed, so Kai mumbled through his duct tape over his mouth, moving his head side to side to escape the mans grasp on his chin.

Benedict pulled back, intrigued at his subjects actions. Subject Zero was with Benedict, and he wasn't acting lifeless and blank around him. That meant something must've been important, and Benedict wouldn't miss an opportunity such as this.

"Would you like to speak?" he asked, and Kai replied with a sluggish nod. Benedict reached down and ripped off the duct tape halfway, just past his lips. It dangled and slightly tickled Kai's cheek.

"Why me?" he blurted. He would ask this question once in awhile, ever since he first arrived here. But at seventeen, Kai was growing insanely tired of Benedict's fake stories. And maybe if he was in a good mood, he would share more than he intended to. Plus, he loved when Kai was compliant. He loved to talk to him, to hear his pretty voice. He loved the boys mere attention.

"Oh, Malakai," Benedict puffed. "May I bore you by telling you the story again? Nothing personal, my boy. It was all based on patterns. You just happened to show the most structure."

Kai knew this. He knew the reason he was chosen was because he was the easiest to catch. He was nothing special—at first, at least. He was merely the one that Benedict could capture with the least amount of problems.

Kai pressed on. He was so used to being laid on the table, cuffs wrapped around his wrists and ankles, connected to the table. Benedict would take Kai out of his cell twice a day, experiment or not. Sometimes the man just wanted to chat.

"Why give me these powers?" he asked.

"Little one," he warned, "I'll say it again. Must I really bore you with answers you already know?"

Kai swallowed down bile as he stared at the florescent lights. "I would like the real answer." He paused. "Please."

Benedict hummed, his fingers drumming the table, sending a shiver down Kai's spine. Little did he know, Benedict would commit suicide in a couple days. Little did he know, Kai's life would drastically change.

"I suppose I could explain in a bit more detail," he said. "Although you're going to need to ask the question in more detail, Malakai."

"Okay," Kai began, carefully thinking of his words. "You gave me a deadly power. You gave someone you kidnapped a power that could kill his own creator."

"Ah," Benedict cooed. He loved the word creator. "I suppose I did. That was my plan, after all."

Kai tried to ignore the mans hand running across his hair, playing with it. He managed to look at him. "I could kill you, you know."

Benedict only smiled down at him as he twirled a piece of Kai's curly hair between his fingers. "You had three years to do so, little one. And yet, I am still very much alive."

'Well, you made that a little difficult to do', he thought to himself. "There's still time."

"Would you do it? Would you really kill me? You're a monster, Malakai—"