Ten

Malakai

"Hey! What's going on?"

Kai and Seb drooped their hands by their sides as Isaac Bonavich and two soldiers stormed over. They were in the East Capitol's training centre, and they were both running and walking laps around the track. Of course, they had multiple eyes on them, and they were caught by their moving hands, easily.

Isaac Bonavich was now standing in front of the two boys. "What are you guys doing?"

Seb was not afraid to answer. "We're signing to one another, sir."

"Signing?"

"Yeah, like, sign language. ASL? You know?"

Bonavich furrowed his eyebrows. "Where did you learn that?"

Seb smiled. "One of the subjects is deaf. We learned over the three years."

Seb was partially right; Becks was deaf, but Seb already knew some sign language beforehand. They both taught the other subjects. Kai and Seb were signing to one another on the track, but it attracted too much attention. They should have known they would be caught, but Kai was sharing a story to Seb, and they didn't want anyone hearing their voices.

"Enough of that. Anything you say can be said out loud. No secrets, or we'll need further questioning."

"I mean, it's a language. But, sure thing," Seb said, his tone light and playful. He tucked his hands by his sides, and Kai had to hold his breath from laughing at his stubborn remark.

Bonavich cocked an eyebrow before spinning around and walking away. The soldiers took a few steps back, keeping an eye on the two.

The training centre was empty expect for Kai, Seb, some soldiers, and the Bonavich family. Rosalyn and Vivienne were in the ring, practicing moves on one another. They were rough on one another, but they also looked like professionals as they fought. Kai had asked permission to workout, and he was surprised to see Seb there. They must've cleared out the area for the subjects. Hyemi was most likely in her room. She was always content with the minimal; Kai and Seb could barely sit still. That was most likely why they were cell buddies.

Kai and Seb picked up the pace to a run, and Seb nudged his shoulder. "We'll whisper, then. Finish your story."

"That's all, really."

Kai sighed as Seb kept the pace fast. His strides were strong and he barely seemed tired. "Okay, so, after denying going on air with VP, thank goodness, then that Rosalyn girl comes in your room and thanks you. I guess that in itself is quite a story."

"It felt weird," Kai said.

Seb laughed, but it was choppy with every hard step he took. "You let me know when life isn't weird."

Kai nodded. "As horrible as this sounds, I wish Benedict gave you the power to see the future. Then we would know whether to keep still here or book it."

Seb laughed again, and it drew attention from everyone in the arena. He clearly had no care. "Please, Kai. I can already see our future here. Can't you?"

Kai did see. He saw nothing but aiding his enemies and being used for his power. A slight part of him wished for something better. He wished he could see freedom.

"Let me dream, Seb."

"Oh, dream all you want," Seb expressed. "You know I support you, man. I'm not like Miriam, for goodness sakes."