Eight

Malakai

Kai's skin tasted the sun as the light shined on him.

His body hadn't seen the sun for three years, and it reacted oddly to the warm sensation. The sun peeked through white laced curtains, the light coming onto half the bed. Kai opened his eyes and stared at the white ceiling, and he skin felt like fire, from the inside and outside, from pain and satisfaction. He didn't know what to think of the feeling.

He lifted his arms and realized he was freed from cuffs again. His body laid on a soft mattress, and Kai hadn't felt this comfortable since before he was captured. He pulled himself up onto his elbows, and he shouted out in pain. A piercing ache surged through his veins, and memories came back of him pressing his hands and taking the pain away from Isaac Bonavich.

All pain seemed to cease as he looked out the window. Kai swung his legs over the bed and limped over, his fingers pulling the window open but failing short after. It was locked, but Kai pulled the curtains aside and stared at what he hadn't seen in years.

He wasn't able to take in the feeling when he was outside before saving Bonavich, but there was no time to. Now, he was looking at blue skies painted with clouds, and an enormous garden below him. It was remarkably beautiful. Flowers and greenery were styled and sorted through the garden, and the colors were bright, full of yellows and blues and pinks. Kai had never seen anything like this in so long. It looked foreign to his eyes.

He lifted his arms in front of him as he watched the sun glow on his skin. Scars and bruises faded in Kai's mind as he grinned at the warm feeling. The sun. Sometimes he feared he'd never see again.

He was a few stories up, and he tried to look past the garden, but he could only see the gates and trees covering the area. He was still in the Capitol, he assumed, but why was he here? And where was Seb and Hyemi?

Kai slowly turned to observe his surroundings. It seemed like a hotel room; a single bed with a dresser and nightstand, and a small bathroom and shower. Kai immediately went into the bathroom, and washed his hands, wincing from the raw scrapes that wrapped around his wrists. The rug-burn and scrapes were horrific, and his wrists were swelled. He looked away as his throat pestered at him. He cupped his hands and lowered his head, taking gulps of water. The feeling burned his throat, but he continued to drink. He was dehydrated and exhausted, and with no food his body had been growing weak.

He walked out of the bathroom and nearly jumped at the sight of two soldiers guarding his door.

"Oh!" Kai blurted. He stepped back as his heart buzzed in his chest. The sight of the soldiers shocked him, and he closed his hands to make sure they knew he wasn't trying to hurt them.

He was stupid if he didn't think he was being watched, but he did not expect soldiers inside. He took a few steps back and stared at the soldiers, waiting for an order, but they only stood by the door, unmoving.

"Do you knew where Sebastian and Hyemi are?" he asked. There was no reply. The soldiers were here to keep watch on Subject Zero, not talk with him.

Kai backed himself up until he was at the window again, and he looked out once more. Seeing outside, seeing how close it was, gave him hope of going home. He was no longer trapped by four walls. He was captive here, yes, but somehow the sun and sky gave him a chance of seeing home again. He was far away, but as he looked at the horizon, he knew it was there, somewhere.

There was a knock at the door, and Kai froze as a soldier opened it.

Isaac Bonavich walked in, and behind him, his daughter. Vivienne is what he heard her name was, but he couldn't quite remember. Kai clutched his hands on the windowsill, pushing himself back at the sight of Benedict Lee's replacement. Kai had a new monster to fear.