Seventeen

Rosalyn

The drive felt long.

While they were nearing towards hour three, Rosalyn couldn't help but think it's been much longer. It took a few hours for the adrenaline to cool off of everyone, while it took Malakai a few hours to gain an ounce of energy back. At the moment, everyone seemed calm, but no doubt very alert for more chasers.

Everyone was oddly quiet, even Sebastian, who hadn't pitched in a joke since they left. Rosalyn spent her time looking out the window, feeling safer with the tinted windows as she stared at passing cars. She checked in on Ingrid every once in a while, who seemed to be driving with no problem.

Finally, Rosalyn managed to turn her head back and look at the subjects. Sebastian had his body nearly sideways, staring out the window with awe. Of course, the subjects had barely seen the outdoors for years, and Sebastian was soaking it all in.

Hyemi, on the other hand, twiddled with her thumbs as she nervously looked back and forth. She was always the collected one, but control was out of her reach and it was shown across her pinched face.

Rosalyn craned her neck and watched as Malakai wrapped his arm around her. He placed his chin against her temple as he kissed her head, burying his face in her thick hair. Her lips pulled into a thin grin as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

It was clear that Hyemi was not pleased with Malakai's heroic act; she was panicked and uneasy as Malakai used his power to throw the chasers off. Rosalyn could see the worry on Hyemi's face, and she could finally read her mind on this one. The subjects cared for one another, deeply.

Memories flooded back into Rosalyn's mind. Sebastian, and how he comforted Malakai during his anxiety attack. Hyemi, and how she was so angry at Malakai, but it was solely because she didn't want him getting hurt. Malakai, and how he constantly asked Rosalyn and her father if the others were alright. The bond was inseparable, and Rosalyn saw it firsthand.

Rosalyn furrowed her eyebrows as she turned around and looked straight again. Hadn't Malakai shown the same care for her? Her mother was about to sedate her until Malakai jumped in and prevented it. He could've let it go; hell, he could've never even came back to the greenhouse.

He even saved my father.

Her racing thoughts faded as Ingrid took an exit off the freeway. Everyone perked up.

Seb sighed. "Ah, we're here!"

"We're halfway," Ingrid said. "I thought we could use a small break. Get some gas, use the restroom."

Ingrid pulled into an old gas station, pulling the car into one of the end pumps, farthest from other cars. Rosalyn looked around for any more chasers; she was surprised they hadn't ran into more trouble yet. Then again, they would constantly be chased during this journey.

Ingrid turned around. "Alright, lets make this stop quick. Nobody knows what you guys look like—yet. Just try to hide your faces. There's some snacks in the trunk."

Rosalyn dug into the glove box and snatched a pair of sunglasses. She handed them to Sebastian. "Just in case."

"Right," Sebastian replied. "Orange glowing eyes. Kind of a standout."

Sebastian was the first to open the door and stretch. He motioned for the others to come, and Malakai nudged Hyemi. With a sigh, she crawled out, and Sebastian gripped her shoulder with his large hand. Rosalyn saw the act and it almost brought a smile to her lips. Sebastian and Malakai were like brothers to Hyemi; it was shown in their subtle touches, their small actions. While Hyemi could hold her own, she seemed to enjoy the touches of encouragement and comfort. Rosalyn could not relate; she was never a big physical touch person.