Six

Malakai

Kai dreamed of better days.

He envisioned life outside the four walls for three years. While Benedict fantasized over successful test subjects, Kai imagined a free life again. When hopelessness seeped into his mind, his heart turned to the promising future that laid ahead. When the other subjects were borderline given up, Kai was the dreamer of the bunch who encouraged and gave hope. He clung onto his Bible, Seb, anything, so he had a reason to keep going.

Dreams shattered as Kai fluttered his eyes open, staring at the familiar fluorescent light. The pain that ripped through his body was familiar, but the feeling was intensified. Kai wiggled his fingers, and it tingled all across his skin. It wasn't until Kai felt his legs laying flat on solid ground that he realized he wasn't in the metal chair anymore.

Mumbled voices echoed, and he saw a shadow appear above him, small fingers resting on his shoulder.

"Kai," the voice whispered. It was comforting and familiar, and Kai's clouded eyes finally cleared.

"Hyemi," Kai said, pushing his arms from under him.

"Stay down." Hyemi pressed her palms on Kai's chest and pushed him back to the floor. Her long braid tickled Kai's arm as she leaned over him. "Just stay still for a second. Relax."

Hyemi grabbed a water bottle and twisted the cap off, angling the bottle to Kai's lips. The cool water nearly burned his dry throat, and the sensation felt overwhelmingly refreshing.

Kai took too big of gulps, and he coughed up some of the water. Hyemi placed her hand behind Kai's neck, gently lifting him so he could catch his breath. "Don't drink it all. Who knows when we'll ever get more."

Kai recovered and quickly gripped Hyemi's arm, and she paused at the urgency in his actions. He kept his eyes locked on hers. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. You need to stop moving," Hyemi ordered.

"Where's Seb—"

"For goodness sakes, Kai, listen to the intelligent woman."

Kai craned his neck and saw Seb leaned against the wall, tired but smiling at him.

Hyemi sighed. "He's right about that. Thanks, Seb. I'm a sucker for compliments."

Kai rested his head back and turned on one cheek, staring at the painting he had looked at so many times before. His eyebrows furrowed. "Are we in my room?"

"Yes. They took the chair out and brought me here," Hyemi said. "Seems like they all want us together now."

Kai attempted to regain his focus, but pain brought him back to a dazed state of mind. Hyemi placed a hand on his forehead, feeling for a fever. Her face showed a level of concern; her dark eyes moved as she checked for any obvious injuries on Kai. Hyemi was two cells down from Kai and Seb while with Benedict, but all the subjects knew one another well. Her caramel skin was smooth, and her facial features were sharp, distinct. She was rebellious but also held a calming presence. She was a natural caregiver, and she thrived on the unknown. She only just turned sixteen, but circumstances made her mature earlier than any other teenager.

"How are you feeling?" Hyemi asked.

Kai turned away from the painting and looked passed Hyemi and at Seb, who gently held his hand on his stomach.

"Oh my gosh, Seb—"

"Kai!" Hyemi couldn't stop Kai from moving over to Seb. Kai grunted as he pushed himself up and sat by him, gently moving his hand and lifting up his shirt. Amongst his dark skin was blood and bruises surrounding his ribs and stomach. Kai looked up at Seb, who was forcing a grin.