Eleven

Rosalyn

Rosalyn stepped into Hyemi's room.

Hyemi was sitting on the edge of her bed as if she was waiting for Rosalyn to come. Maybe she had heard her approaching footsteps.

Rosalyn cleared her throat. "Breakfast is on its way."

Hyemi did not react; she knew the real reason why she was here. So Rosalyn did not wait any longer.

"I just wanted to warn you about what happened yesterday—"

Hyemi scoffed. "I heard it all."

"Oh," Rosalyn exhaled. She didn't know how good her hearing was. She opened her mouth but was interrupted again.

"He had flashbacks and a panic attack after being painfully triggered," Hyemi said. "And you all act like that isn't normal."

"I came to ask for tips."

"Tips?" Hyemi repeated. "You're asking me for tips like you're training an animal. He's a human being. Don't you know how humans work?"

Rosalyn retreated. She was right; she knew he had trauma, but Vivienne was oblivious to the matter of it all. Rosalyn's insides hurt as she watched Malakai suffer through flashbacks, and it was only Sebastian who could help him.

"We'll be careful," Rosalyn said. "I'll try to be careful."

Hyemi sighed and crossed her arms, looking to the side. "Just remember the morality of it all. Think to yourself if what you're doing to us is moral."

"It's not," Rosalyn blurted. "I know it's not, but I—I can't control what other people do."

Hyemi simply shrugged. She was an attentive person; always observing but also the one to speak her ideas first. She had a confidence about her that fascinated Rosalyn. She crossed one leg over another as she leaned towards Rosalyn. Her large braid fell next to her face.

"Then control what you do," Hyemi said. "Stand up for what you think is right."

———

"Where are we going?"

Rosalyn ignored Malakai's question as she pushed the door open to the garden.

Two soldiers were just behind Malakai, but it was as if Malakai was alone with just him and the sun. It was bright out; only a few weak clouds spread across the sky. Malakai froze as his body took in the light. With his pale body, he was practically glowing.

When Rosalyn walked in his room to get him, he was laying in his bed. It was obvious that he was sore; his movements looked stiff, and there was a contusion of red and yellow under his left eye, right where Vivienne swung. His eye wasn't too swollen, but he looked uncomfortable, nonetheless.

Rosalyn shook Malakai out of his trance. "Come on."

His face perked up as they walked to the garden. They walked down the path, and Malakai was in awe at the sight. Colorful flowers covered the garden, and even Rosalyn walked slowly to admire it. Eventually, Rosalyn led Malakai into the greenhouse.

Ingrid looked up, and a bright smile spread across her face, and the smile did not change as Malakai trailed in behind.

"Ah, Rosalyn! A special surprise, once again," Ingrid took off her gloves and kissed Rosalyn on the cheek. Her eyes lifted. "And who did you bring along?"

"He's one of the subjects—"

Ingrid cut her off. "I asked for a name, that's all."

Malakai squeezed his hands into fists and slightly smiled. "Malakai. You're Ingrid, right?"