Twenty-Seven

Rosalyn

There was no time to prepare for what was to come.

Once Hyemi heard people were coming, everyone perched next to the windows, occasionally peeking past the shades. It was mostly silent, spare the short conversations that were whispered from a few people.

Rosalyn crouched down next to Ingrid, and she could not hold in her questions. "Should we be running?"

Ingrid sighed. "Farrah claims she can hold them off."

"Not forever," Farrah clarified. "For as long as I can, at least."

"The only problem with that is that it'll blow our cover," Wolfgang said. "Once Farrah uses her power, they'll all know where we are. Which is—unfortunate."

"So, what's the better option?" Rosalyn finally asked. It was clear that nobody really knew. Running away would take away their safe place, but staying in Sandy Hook was no better. Nonetheless, Hyemi heard people coming, and it was too late to run without being seen. They would have to fight from inside.

But we can't even fight, Rosalyn thought. Ingrid didn't want anyone to get hurt, but how would they fight them off? Wolfgang made it clear he didn't care. Malakai could use his power sparingly, but it would also make him weaker.

"We could pretend to threaten me again?" Rosalyn offered. It worked last time with the soldiers.

Hyemi shook her head. "There's too many of them. Not all of them would listen."

While it was a smart move to let the public do the work, it was also an act of carelessness. It was clear to Rosalyn that her father did not care what happened to others as long as got his prizes back.

And me, she thought. It almost pained her that she had the same amount of a reward as Malakai. And while it wasn't about the prize money, it showed her that Subject Zero meant just as much as his own daughter. She tried not to get consumed in the thought.

"Alright, I see them." Sebastian spoke.

"How many?" Rosalyn asked. She didn't know how anxious she was.

"A dozen? Maybe more?" Sebastian craned his head as he glanced at everyone. "Did Bonavich bother to mention if he wanted us back, alive?"

"He did not clarify," Wolfgang casually replied, and Sebastian pierced his lips and nodded, staring back out the window.

Farrah turned and sat against the wall, closing her eyes. "Just tell me when."

"You got it, sweetheart." Wolfgang said, but silence soon fell after that.

Rosalyn watched as Farrah—prepared? She didn't know what her power was, nor did she knows Becks'. Whatever it was, Farrah could use it at a time like this, which meant it was powerful. She tried to search for any prominent scars; a few small ones covered her hands, like Malakai's. But scars were everywhere on everyone, so Rosalyn could never tell. She would find out soon enough.

"They're close," Sebastian said. "Hey Kai, Rosalyn, just—be careful. It's easier to get one of you than two of us. All they care about is the stupid money."

"He's right," Ingrid said softly. "They'll try to take anyone, but they're ultimately looking for your faces. Everyone, be careful."

"I see'm, y'all." Wolfgang said, a tone of haste escaping from his mouth.

Farrah took a big sigh and stood up. "Alright. Well, here we go."

"Careful, Farrah." Malakai whispered. She nodded but kept her stare at the door. She rested her hand over it, taking a few more deep breaths.