Thirty-Four

Malakai

Screams roared through the hallways.

It took a while for Kai to realize that the screams were not his own. Countless hours seemed to pass, and all he could do was sob and scream until he physically could no longer do either. Guards tied his arms to the bedpost, hanging above him, and Kai laid out on the bed, pure exhaustion coursing through him.

Although the screams forced him to sit up, and he flinched as his door was opened suddenly, and his eyes widened as he saw who stumbled through.

Vivienne had never been such a mess as she was now.

Her face was blotchy with red marks, as if she was clawing at herself. She could barely hold herself upright, grabbing onto the wall for balance as she staggered through the door. Her hazel eyes were glistening, full of tears, and the skin around them puffy. Although the resemblance of Rosalyn was so clear; it almost hurt Kai to see someone who looked so much like Rosalyn, crying and sobbing in front of him.

Vivienne noticed him in the room and finally stared at him with wide and frightful eyes. "Zero?"

"She's—" Kai could barely form words. His voice was gone; his throat was raw and swollen, and his entire body lacked energy. "Ingrid—"

Vivienne sobbed again, a large, echoed sob that hurt Kai's ears. "W-why? Why did he—d-do this?"

Kai could only quiver his lip as more tears flowed down his stained cheeks. "I-I'm sorry."

He realized then that Vivienne did not know about Ingrid, nor did she know that Kai was back at the Capitol. She was just as clueless and frightened as he was. She had lost the woman who was there when she was growing up. Her father had ordered her death.

She sunk to the ground, her chest rising and falling so quickly she was starting to hyperventilate. Kai tugged against his restraints, twisting his body as he tried to turn away from Vivienne, but he could barely move.

This was a new kind of torture; one Vivienne did not intend, but watching someone completely fall apart in front of Kai only made him sob again, this time his throat dried as he did. It pained his lungs and burned his chest, but Vivienne's cries did not stop. Kai only shrugged his shoulders so they were covering his ears, and he shut his eyes tight.

Not real, he thought. Not real.

It was real, but Kai didn't think he could grasp that reality yet.

He had forgiven Vivienne a long time ago; he learned that holding onto a grudge was only more painful then forgiving. However, he couldn't help but remember how she had hurt him, and sent him into a flashback. But right now, they were both suffering, and neither of them could help one another.

It felt like eternity of Vivienne sobbing and Kai trying to block out the noise, but shadows appeared from down the hall, approaching quickly.

"Oh dear," a familiar voice echoed, but Kai only closed his eyes tighter. "Someone help Vivienne. Bring her to her room, yeah?"

There was a scuffle of footsteps and a distanced cry until there was only a single, slow echo of one pair. Kai shook his head and buried his eyes deeper into his shoulder, not wanting to look at the man.

"Malakai," Veil said smoothly. "You need to breathe."

He didn't realize he was holding his breath until he let out a strangled heave of air, and Kai tilted his head upwards to gain better access of a full breath. He felt a dip in the bed as Veil sat on the side, frowning down at him.