Twenty-Nine

Rosalyn

She felt far from home.

Not only from the cabin, but her real home. It was only a few weeks ago before the world knew anything about the subjects. Rosalyn was hard in training, learning and practicing with Vivienne, admiring her fathers leadership. It was only a couple weeks ago when she learned who Subject Zero was, and the power he held that could be of use to the East Capitol.

It was only days ago when she had really learned who Malakai was, and how her father could be wrong after all.

Life wouldn't be the same; at least, not for a while. Rosalyn was in hiding from her own family, and the concept was odd.

But now, she had to get back to the cabin. When she ran, she ran far, and after taking down her three opponents, she realized she was lost. Also, she realized she wasn't the best with directions. Malakai had secretly stabbed sticks the last time they took a walk, making a trail...

Was Malakai alright?

Rosalyn began to walk, whichever way felt right, which wasn't all too helpful. Her body was tired, but it was almost equivalent to a day of training, so she was used to it. Although, she felt bruises beginning to form around her ribs; she had let her guard down a few times, and faced the consequences.

"Fancy seeing you here, darlin'."

Rosalyn jumped, but she could detect that accent from anywhere. She turned behind her and saw Wolfgang standing casually, leaning against the trunk of a tree, cuts and dried blood down his lip and across and jaw.

"Oh, Wolfgang." Rosalyn sputtered, but the blonde-haired boy only scoffed.

"Well, you don't seem too excited to see me. You were probably wishing it was Kai-your-guy, huh."

"Have you seen him?" Rosalyn asked, but it only made Wolfgang smile proudly.

"And I was right," he said, then it was followed by a shrug. "You're the first one I've seen since the fighting died down. Some bastard chased me out into the woods. Said bastard didn't last long, though."

Rosalyn ignored his wink as she looked around. Did anything look familiar? How did she get this far away? It was clear Wolfgang didn't know where he was either, but as he walked confidently, Rosalyn caught up by his side.

Wolfgang was larger than Malakai. Rosalyn always felt small next to him, but Wolfgang was a different story. He was a bit taller than Malakai, and he held his posture tall and proud. His skin was tanned; even three years cooped up didn't take his southern tan away. His muscles were much more defined, and he smelled of bonfire and pine needles.

When Rosalyn stared at Malakai, he never noticed. However, Wolfgang was not the same.

He smiled down at her, his grey eyes widening. "Do you want to stop walking so you can get a better look? Maybe take off my shirt? I can strike some poses."

He lifted up his shirt just enough to reveal his toned abs and muscles. Rosalyn's face reddened as she turned away. What was with these boys and their abs? Did Benedict force them to workout? She began to walk faster. "I need to find Malakai. Let's go."

She heard him chuckle as he trailed behind. "I can see who your favorite is. Kind of hurts my feelings—"

"I don't know you."