Thirteen

Rosalyn

When Malakai took off, Rosalyn was quick to follow.

She was swift on her feet as she trailed behind Malakai. He ran into the woods with a mission on his mind, but Rosalyn could not tell what he was doing. Running away was not an option; he would never leave Sebastian and Hyemi, plus he was excited for Ingrid's plan. So where was he going?

Rosalyn kept slight distance as he swung himself around a tree and leaned down, and Rosalyn crouched down as she saw him pressing his hands on someone. She saw Malakai wince as he took pain from a girl's arm, which was cut open pretty badly. The event quickly ended as the girl was healed and Malakai gritted his teeth, inviting the pain.

The girl sneered moments later. "You gifted son-of-a-bitch."

Malakai grinned like a proud boy, and it was obvious that these two knew one another. This girl was another one of the subjects, captured by the West side. It had to be.

"First of all, you're welcome."

"Yeah, yeah," the girl sighed. She stood up as she checked her arm, slapping it clean. Malakai looked at her with hopeful and eager eyes, awaiting her next moves.

The girl was a portrait of fierce beauty. Her hair was short and blonde, with lined brown streaks, and her hair sculpted around her face. Her figure was long and toned, and she carried herself as such. Her face was structured by a strong jawline, but the most prevalent feature were her eyes; an icy blue, almost grey color. They were brighter than Malakai's green ones, and they sparkled as she looked at him. Rosalyn almost felt intimidated by the girl.

"Have they gotten your powers out of you yet?" the girl asked. She reached up and pulled a curl away from Malakai's face. Rosalyn was surprised when he didn't flinch.

"Had to hurt Seb in order to do so," Malakai said.

"Then why are you hurt?" the girl asked, staring at his bruised under-eye.

Malakai hesitated, but not in the scared, terrifying way he did at the East Capitol. "Someone was eager to throw a few punches. How about you? Did you show them your power?"

The girl chuckled. "Honestly I was eager to. They were pretty afraid, righty so."

Malakai grabbed the girl and shifted, making sure they were hidden. Little did they know, Rosalyn could see everything.

"How are the others?" Malakai asked.

"So-so," the girl shrugged. "Hanging in there. I didn't know people could be as psychotic as Benedict. I thought he was the only bastard I hated. Turns out I hate just about everyone."

"That doesn't shock me," Malakai said, a smirk appearing on his lips.

Miriam rolled her eyes before letting out a small expression. "Oh, and also, we're escaping."

"You're what?"

The girl leaned against the tree and crossed her arms. Her dried blood looked odd when it wasn't oozing out of her now-healed injury. "You think we wouldn't escape? We're hoping to within the next day or so, before we go back West."

Malakai gripped the girls shoulders firmly. He was unable to hold his excitement. "That's perfect! We're escaping sometime this week. There's a place in Kentucky, it's called—"

Malakai fell silent as the girls icy eyes peered into his. She cocked her head and grinned after a moment. "Sandy Hook. Some lady's cabin?"

Malakai took a step back and grabbed his head. "Geez, Miriam, I was just about to tell you."