Twenty

Malakai

Kai woke up just before sunrise.

Seb stole all the covers, and over half the bed, so Kai got out of bed and made his way into the living room. But as he looked back, Seb had already grabbed his pillow and placed it under his own. He was never a good sharer; at least, while he was unconscious and unknowing.

As he tiptoed into the living room, he spotted Ingrid sitting on the long couch, a Bible in her hands. She was leaning as close as she could towards the window, using the slight light from the cracks of the shades. His eyes widened at the book; the one and only thing Benedict gave to him, the only object he could hold onto. Without even fully realizing, Kai sat next to her, his head peaking over her shoulders at the words.

Ingrid sighed and placed the book down. "Why do I feel like I'm being watched?"

He retreated, sinking back into the sofa, but Ingrid only let out a breath of laughter. His tensed body relaxed, inch by inch. "I'm sorry. I just haven't gotten to read in a while."

Ingrid closed the Bible as she turned her head to Kai. "I've almost forgotten you were one with faith."

"We all have it, in one form or another," Kai shrugged. "But we share the same one."

"Ah, yes," she nodded. Her light blonde-gray hair caught the light as she moved so she was facing Kai. "However, even we make mistakes, no?"

What was she getting at? Kai subtly nodded, then frowned when Ingrid placed the book to the side. He looked back up and saw her stern face, and Kai's heart jumped.

"Maybe we should have a simple lesson instead," Ingrid said. "Such as no lying."

He couldn't hide his guilt-struck face as memories of last night resurfaced. He had blatantly lied to Ingrid, but he thought it was for Rosalyn's own good; she felt awfully embarrassed last night, and Kai did not want to showcase that.

"I lied—"

"That I knew," Ingrid exclaimed. "What I want to know is why."

Should he tell her? It felt like a personal moment; something Rosalyn most likely didn't want displayed to others. Kai just happened to be there. Then again, Ingrid was a close friend to Rosalyn. She deserved to know.

"She started to cry," he began. "Sob, actually. Painful sobs. About missing her family, I'd guess."

Ingrid nodded, as if she knew the answer anyway but wanted Kai to confess. "Did she begin to cry right away?"

He shook his head. "No. She seemed fine for most the time, but we sat down and after I shared a story about my sister, she lost it."

Ingrid frowned as she stared at the floor. "Rosa has a tendency to hide her emotions until she explodes. Quite frankly, I've never seen it before—"

"She's hurt," Kai blurted, but soft enough to not wake the others. "She left her family, her life, behind. Her mother tried to sedate her. I—I think she's confused but overall hurt."

Ingrid placed a warm hand on Kai's shoulder. For someone he barely knew, he would normally flinch, but he grew to love Ingrid's gentle touches. She was a motherly figure to Kai, and he craved it unknowingly.

"You are very observant and selfless, Malakai." Ingrid said. "I'm sure she was glad someone like you was there to comfort her."

He shook his head. "I shouldn't of brought up a topic about family. It—I don't know, I just shouldn't have."