Five

Eren had never experience an awkward moment like the one he was facing now. It wasn't just the common feel of awkward, but the awkward atmosphere that was so awkward that one could literally feel and smell. (Was that even possible?) Eren was surprised that Hanji wasn't babbling and blurting things out like her usual self, and he was glad no one questioned him when he said he worked at a bakery. He didn't want many people to know, mainly because he knew he would be judged for it.

The green eyed boy looked out the window and watched as his breath fogged up against the pane; it was starting to snow, which was Eren's favourite kind of weather. Of course he never had the time to enjoy it since his father always ordered him to shovel the snow, he never built even one measly snowman in his whole life. Yeah, his father was a dick but he was still planning to return home. Because where else wold he go? He had plenty of friends, but he didn't want any of them to know, to get stuck in his problems and worrying their heads off. He didn't want to get involved with the police or foster families or any crazy things that would take up energy.

Eren didn't need help.

"You look horrible," Levi muttered as he stared at him from the rear view mirror.

"Thanks," Eren mumbled sarcastically.

"Levi," Hanji hissed and shoved the short man's shoulder. "Don't tease him."

Levi merely shrugged. "I'm not teasing. I'm just being honest."

"Listen, can you stop being so rude for at least one minute?"

"You said honesty is attractive."

She shook her head.

"I don't see what Petra sees in you," she whispered under his breath. "You'll end up being single before Christmas if you keep that attitude up."

"Good. I hope that happens."

Eren couldn't help but smirk at his reply. He sounded like one of those popular guys from school that constantly messed around with several partners, only to break up with them days or weeks later just because they were pretty. But Levi looked like that sort of person who was protective and polite, but intimidating; he was probably the ideal partner for most people.

The small bakery came into view as the car drove smoothly down the grey brick road. The white fluff settled upon the brick roof and the stone path as the car approached slowly until Levi parked abruptly to the side. It was a small building wedged between these two other structures that were awfully tall. It appeared like it was forced to be squeezed in the small space that might have been there once, but it looked cozy and comforting. The main colours were burgundy, black and white. It looked like it came out of an old painting.

At least that's what Eren thought when he first saw the place.

"Alright, thanks for the ride," Eren said as he slid the door open. "Bye-"

"Not so fast," Hanji cut in.

"God, Hanji, just let him go," Levi said, irritated.

"I know nothing about your work life," Hanji said. "I wanna see what you do."

"You already know what I do," Eren replied with a sigh.

Levi raised one eyebrow and his noticed the boy's obvious discomfort and annoyance. "Why are you acting so secretive about it?"

"Why do you want to know?" Eren demanded and stormed towards the door. The handle was cool to the touch the moment his hand tightened around it. "I just bake, was that not obvious from seeing this?" He gestured towards the bakery.

"I'll buy something," Hanji announced.

"Me too."

"Don't you have somewhere to go? You've been complaining nonstop," she said and rolled her eyes.