Bonding

(Author's Note: I really wanted to spend time with Barbatos but we know so little about his character! Sigh...)

"That doesn't look like the meal you made last Sunday." Barbatos smiled as he watched Alicia work in the kitchen. "That actually looks like sausage, and chicken hawk eggs."

"In my defense, Diavolo didn't ask for the same meal. He just asked me to cook, and if you think I'm going to give you the chance to figure out my recipe so soon, you're dreaming." Alicia laughed a bit as she warmed up her pans. "And it's not just sausage and eggs, it's sage sausage. The best sausage...plus, I found brioche bread, so there's going to be french toast as well."

"Hmph." Barbatos stepped around her and pulled down a number of different spices. "I will find out your secret eventually, Ms. Alicia."

"Just Alicia, and sure." She rolled her eyes and smiled softly. "My mother said I'm as stubborn as a bull, so you won't get them that easily."

"I'm always up for a challenge if it's something Lord Diavolo asks." Barbatos quickly started chopping up peppers and onions for omelets while Alicia cooked the sausage, the silence between them only lasted for a second before Alicia broke it.

"So, do you have any hobbies?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's just that I always see you with Diavolo. I'm just wondering if there's anything you like to do in whatever spare time you have." Alicia turned the meat over the fire and looked over her shoulder. "When we hang out we talk about me, I wanna hear about you."

"Hmm...I enjoy baking, and reading when I have a moment." Barbatos moved to stand next to her to saute his veggies. "What about you?"

"We're talking about you." She let out another laugh and she lowered the flame so she wouldn't have to keep staring at the pan. "What's your favorite thing to bake?"

"Pie. I really like baking pies. You get to be so creative with the crust...My second favorite thing would have to be tarts. Those are just simply adorable."

"Are you a fan of music?"

"Mainly classical music. Stuff long before your time, Chopin, Debussy, Haydn."

"Way to make me feel like a toddler." Alicia scoffed and focused on her cooking, but a smile did grace her face. "So nothing modern? You don't fancy anything from the human realm?"

"I don't really go looking for new music. Do you have any recommendations?"

"I don't think you'd like anyone on my playlist...but I usually cook to music if you're interested."

"If that would make you feel more comfortable."

"I also play it on repeat so...sorry in advance." Alicia washed her hands and grabbed her phone, scrolling to her favorite song for making breakfast. The tune to Breakfast in Bed by Ella Mai started to take over the kitchen, and she hummed a little before returning to the stove.

Barbatos focused on the fruits while listening to the music, enjoying the melody but feeling unsure about the lyrics. "It seems like this song has a lot of innuendo...and doesn't really mean to make breakfast in bed for someone."

"Oh yeah, most of her songs are like that, but I love the melody, and she has a lovely voice. If I were back home, I'd be putting on a concert in my kitchen."

"And who's stopping you from doing that now?" While Alicia stopped in her tracks, Barbatos smiled brightly. "You're a guest you know, you can do what makes you comfortable."

"I just didn't want to annoy you. It's still really early in the morning for all of that."

"Nonsense. Lord Diavolo is already awake and preparing to host the student council. I'd like to hear you sing while you cook. As a matter of fact..." Barbatos gently took the fork from her hands and started to move the sausages out of the frying pan and onto a tray. "These are done, and I'll handle the eggs and french toast. If you're concerned about burning something, you can prep the fruit."

"You're not going to drop this, are you?"

"Not in the slightest, Alicia."

Alicia let out a small breath and moved to the kitchen island to start cutting up the fruit. She waited for him to turn his attention back to the stove. "So let me take you to my room, I'll give you what you need. I just wanna take you home with me, I just wanna take this to, another level get you high off my intensity. I just wanna take you home with me, I just wanna give you that breakfast in bed."

While he did his best not to show it, Barbatos was stifling a laugh, mainly due to how bashful she sounds. He hummed along to the melody while she sang, enjoying this moment of getting someone else to do what he wanted. "If it makes you feel any more confident, you have a lovely singing voice."

"Thank you." Alicia's face warmed up a bit as she finished mixing the fruits in the salad. She looked over and noticed he finished with the eggs and toast and she sighed in content. "Finally done." She moved to help Barbatos set the table and looked up at him. "Maybe we can hang out again, outside of my sessions... and our cooking sessions for Diavolo."

"I don't get much free time from my position, Alicia. But it is a nice thought."

"Oh come on, I'm sure you could go one hour or so without being around Diavolo to get some Boba tea or something. I don't enjoy hanging out with people when it's always so focused." She walked over to him and nudged him slightly with a bright smile. "Especially my friends."

Barbatos watched her for a second, a small blush threatened to cover his face but he composed himself. They were friends? Just before he had the chance to respond, there was a loud banging on the door.

"Yo Alicia! Open up! We're starving."

The two could hear the loud thud of Mammon being smacked against the door, followed by a firm knock.

"That must be Lucifer." Barbatos stepped back and smiled at her. "I'll tend to them. And I'll think about your offer." He walked off to greet the brothers, while Alicia moved to collect Diavolo. She made a quick stop in her room to change and was nearly tackled by Asmo and Mammon when she came back downstairs.

"Hey, where'd you get that necklace?" Mammon asked, pointing out the emerald pendant attached to the gold chain on her neck.

"Hmm? It was a gift from Diavolo." Alicia toyed with the necklace for a moment.

"Yes, I saw it in a shop window and couldn't look away. I thought it would be a nice thank you since Alicia agreed to take on a task outside of what Lucifer assigns her."

"You act like I'm running her ragged." Lucifer mused while he ate.

"Along with that, Lord Diavolo thought it would be nice for Alicia to wear Devildom accessories to the upcoming ball." Barbatos chimed in while pouring everyone their drink, only to be stopped by Alicia so she could pour her own.

"Planning an outfit around one accessory? Sounds like fun." Asmo grinned wickedly and looked at Alicia. "I already have ideas."

"We're talking about it first. I do not want a repeat of the outfit from The Fall." Alicia said firmly before digging in, so consumed by the conversations going on, she missed the dull swirling fog that was going around inside the pendant.