the everyday normal

A/n: if you guys watch the florida project a lot of these storylines will make sense i promise you. you can still read this without watching it but i'm just warning you some things might not make sense. anyway enjoy the first chapter! :)

toni's pov

"mom get up!" sophie says shaking me awake and i instantly jolt up. "soph it's early why are you waking me up?" i ask and rub my eyes while sitting up.

"it's bobby. he needs rent." she says and slides off the bed. i get up to open the door and sure enough bobby is there. i look at him and look back at sophie. i walk outside and close the door behind me.

"look i can't pay it right this second can i have a few more days or something?" i try to negotiate. he sighs. "toni i- you know what. tomorrow." he says. "ok." i swallow and go back inside.

sophie is laying on the bed watching tv. i collapse back onto my side of the bed and sigh. "you can't pay it yet can you?" sophie asks with her eyes still glued to the tv. "don't worry about it ok?" i say. "whatever. you know moonee says that halley tells her everything." sophie says. "really?" i ask. "yup." she says. i knew damn well the halley doesn't tell moonee half of the things she does in life. she probably just wants moonee to believe that which is smart.

sometimes i feel bad that i can't keep the obvious secrets from sophie. for example paying rent. it sucks but it's life. well, my life at least.

our room is small and has one bed, a small tv, and a bathroom with a shower. it's the best i can do and sophie doesn't seem to care. that's something i've always loved about her. she doesn't care about us being broke.

she knows we don't have money, trust me she does, but she never complains. that's partially because she doesn't know life any different but it's also because she knows i'm doing my best. or at least i hope she knows.

"hey why don't you get dressed and go play?" i suggest and she nods. she takes a t-shirt and shorts out of the small closet and goes into the bathroom. i continue watching tv until i hear banging on the door.

"SOPHIE GET OUT HERE! WE NEED YOU." i hear moonee scream. i get up and open the door only to be met by moonee and scooty. "toni we need sophie not you!" moonee says and i laugh. "she's getting dressed." i say. "she's taking too long." scooty says.

"can you guys do me a favor and maybe not spit on other people's cars today? me and your moms got way too many complaints about the other day." i say. "no promises." moonee says. "moonee i mean it." i say a bit more seriously. she rolls her eyes and sighs.

sophie comes running out of the bathroom and right past me in the doorway. "bye soph. have fun." i say. "bye mommy." she says. "and no spitting please and thank you!" i call out to them while they run away. "your not welcome!" moonee screams back.

i shake my head and close the door to our room. i walk down the hallway and knock on halley's door. "it's open!" she says and i walk in and crash on her bed. "what the hell are you watching?" i ask her. "no idea. just some trashy daytime tv show." she says and i nod.

"i told the kids not to spit on cars today." i say and halley starts laughing. "i doubt they'll listen to that." she laughs. "i know but just in case they were in the mood to actually listen i just reminded them." i say. "i got so many fucking complaints about that i swear to god. as if people think i'm the one who told moonee it was ok to spit on cars. i might be to blame for her bad behavior sometimes but i can assure you i never told her to harass other people's property." she says.

"i know me too. did bobby come to your room this mornings for-you know?" i ask. "like always. i told him i'll have it tomorrow." she says. "me too. i don't want to have to ask ashley to cover for me again but she's the only one with a job i don't know what else i can do." i sigh.