the kids aren't alright

A/n: this book is about to start getting really sad. just a heads up🙁

toni's pov

it was a normal day for everyone today. all the kids are out playing and i'm getting ready to go out with halley. ashley texted us saying she needs us at the diner so that's where we're going. i just throw on shorts and a shirt and head out of my room.

i knock on halley's door and she opens it. "hey t." she says and shuts the door, stepping into the hallway. "hey. do you know why ashley needs us at the diner?" i ask while we start walking. "no clue. i guess we'll find out." she says. we walk for another five minutes until we get to the diner.

ashley's on her break so she just meets us outside. "hey guys." she says. "hi. you wanted to talk to us?" i ask. "yea so i just got word that tonight the diner is having a one night only special. the place is gonna be packed and there taking all the help they can get. anyone who agrees to come help serve tonight gets paid $200 plus tips." she says and my eyes go wide.

"are you serious?" halley asks. "dead serious." ashley says. "i'm in. i'm so in." halley says. "me too. but what about the kids?" i ask. "um can't you get one of your serpent friends to watch them?" halley asks. "yea i'll ask sweet pea." i say. "ok great. i have to get back inside but make sure to be here by 7." ashley says and runs back inside.

me and halley walk back to the motel. i start texting sweet pea on the way.

on text
t: hey sweets can you watch the kids tonight?
s: i have a shift at the wyrm.
off text

"shit he's working tonight." i say. "ok well he's taking the kids with him i'm not passing up $200." halley says.

on text
t: would you mind taking the kids with you?
s: i guess it would be ok but i can't work and watch all 4 of them.
t: is anyone else working tonight?
s: fangs is and jughead is gonna be there. he's always there
t: do you think cheryl and veronica are busy tonight?
s: doubt it. you should just tell them to come to the wyrm
t: i'll text them. thanks pea
s: np
off text

"ok so apparently fangs is working tonight and jughead is gonna be at the wyrm. i'm thinking that if veronica and cheryl go to the bar tonight too then they can just watch the kids there." i say.

"yea that's fine but don't they live in some fancy apartment? why can't the kids go there?" she asks. "i don't know. i don't really wanna just give them 4 kids to watch in there probably beautiful apartment. it's just easier for them to be at the wyrm. plus there's games and a tv at the bar." i say. "alright that works for me." she says. "i'll text cheryl." i say.

on text
t: hi cheryl
c: hey what's up?
t: i was gonna leave the kids at the wyrm tonight with sweet pea and fangs but there both working so it's gonna be hard for them to work and to watch the kids. would you and veronica be able to go there and watch the kids?
c: yea of course
t: are you sure?
c: yup we'll be there
t: thank you so much! you're the best
c: lol np
off text

"she's in." i say. "perfect." halley says.

later

"hurry up sophie." i say. "one second mom i'm picking out toys to bring." she says while rummaging through her small toy bin. "well i have to drop you off in the next 10 minutes so speed it up." i say. "ok ok i picked them out." she says and walks towards the door with her stuffed animal in one hand and a doll in the other.

i open the door and we both walk out. "mom why am i wearing pajamas?" she asks. she's just wearing a yellow tank top with random pajama pants. "because you're gonna be at the bar for awhile and you might fall asleep." i say as we start walking.