Chapter Fifteen

(Keefe POV)
I knew that we could just levitate, but it would take too long for all of us to gain that kind of control. And the leap crystal lead us three miles away from the island. So we going to have to sail.
Getting a boat in the Lost Cities was near to impossible. But thanks goodness Dex's father had a thing for human contraptions.
"Geniuses, aren't they?" Dex's father smiled and ran his hand across the glossy boat.
"Is it hard to sail?" I asked.
"No, easy enough, here, I'll teach you"
He pulled me up and onto the boat. The rest of the day I spent learning the terms and how to sail the boat. For a few moments at least, I pretended that he was my father. It felt right, but I felt guilty. My real father was at least trying to be supportive.
At the end of the day, Dex's father helped me push the boat through the light portal.
I turned around, "Thanks Dad!"
My cheeks immediately blushed, I couldn't believe I had said that out loud.
But Dex's father smiled and put a hand on my back, "Good job son"
I grinned and dashed through the light before I could embarrass myself even more.
————————————————————————
Everyone was pacing around the room when I shimmered through.
Linh ran up to me, "Keefe! Did it work?"
I smiled, "That's Captain Keefe to you"
The room breathed a sigh of relief. Mr. Forkle waved over some masked members of the Black Swan to take away the boat. That night, we had a feast in celebration. Not just because I learned how to sail a boat, but because we were going to save the two most important things to all of us. Sophie and the Black Swan. For different reasons, we relied on them to get us through the hard times. And now, without one of them, it was even harder. But nothing would stop us from saving her.
Towards the very middle of the party, I grabbed a two plates of mallowmelt and slipped away. I descended the stairs down into the center of the tree. A guard stood in front of the next staircase.
"State your name"
"Keefe Sencen"
The guard moved out of my way, "He told me you might come"
I scoffed and opened my mouth to say something, but it wasn't important. I ran down the stairs, while carefully balancing the two plates. When I reached the bottom, another guard escorted me to one of the cells and opened the door.
"Hey Foster"