Chapter Three

Mo Yuan watched Seventy-Three with pride. The young boy often preferred spending his time alone by burying his face in books at the library, rather than engaging in idle conversation with his elder martial brothers. Naturally everyone would assume that Seventy-Three was shy and hated to be around people, but in fact, he had good social relationships with all his martial brothers, particularly the young Jian Wei and Hao Xinzhi, who would often bring him goodie bags and desserts from the kitchen. In spite of his young age, Seventy-Three had a sweet tooth. But who could turn away that sweet, adorable face?

Seventy-Three would have the habit of immersing himself in books after classes and martial training. In addition to being a bookworm, he proved to show much potential in swordsmanship, performing remarkably when armed with a sword, but was noticeably weak in archery and often missed his shooting targets.

Mo Yuan enjoyed being with the boy, feeling like he had known him for a very long time. One day, the boy had come to him and presented him with a drawing of a very warm and beautiful place that resembled Bihai Cangling.

(picture from Tumblr)

Seventy-Three had painted a clear sky overhead with few clouds, and the place had an abundance of tall trees adorned with purplish flowers. Purple was the colour of Emperor Donghua's robe then, when he had been alive.

"Seventy-Three, that's a beautiful work of art," Mo Yuan said. "Have you ever been to the place in your painting?"

Seventy-Three smiled shyly and said, "No, Master. I just imagined this place in my mind." As Mo Yuan had no idea how Bihai Cangling looked, he didn't ask more about the drawing. The only other living immortal who had known of and seen Bihai Cangling had been Zhe Yan.

Mo Yuan would later come to know that the boy was a prodigy when it came to studying. From the Bihai Cangling painting incident, Mo Yuan had seen for himself and would continue to see in future paintings, that though the boy seldom painted, his painting skills were remarkable and carried meaning to them, as if he had been to the places that he had committed to put in ink.

By the tenth year in the Kunlun Mountains, Seventy-Three had already mastered all the books in the library, and had even committed them to memory. It was due to this reason, that Mo Yuan decided to appoint him as the custodian of the library. Whenever anyone came to the library in search of a book, he was able to easily recommend which books would be of assistance and the locations of the books in the library. Although he had already memorised the content of all the books in the library, he still continued to read them out of his love for reading. He was interested particularly in Buddhist sutras and Taoist texts. Some time ago, while he was reading in the library, Seventy-Three came across some ancient records hidden in the library concerning Shao Wan, the ancestor of the Demon Clan and one of the earliest immortals. Seventy-Three's discovery piqued his curiosity. Due to this, he inquisitively asked Mo Yuan about the creation of the world and how the world had existed from the beginning. To placate his curiosity, Mo Yuan had told him in brief about the creation of the world, and about Shao Wan.