Chapter Thirty (Part 1)

There's always gonna be another mountain

I'm always gonna wanna make it move

Always gonna be an uphill battle

Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there

Ain't about what's waiting on the other side

It's the climb

------Sung by: Miley Cyrus |  Songwriters: Jessica Leigh Alexander / Jon Clifton Mabe

-PART ONE-

Volunteering Activity at Mt. Sierra

Altria enjoyed the cool breeze as she swiftly ascended the mountain, accompanied by her supportive and enthusiastic cousin Astrid

Altria enjoyed the cool breeze as she swiftly ascended the mountain, accompanied by her supportive and enthusiastic cousin Astrid. This time, she had packed smart and ensured her hiking bags were as lightweight as possible. Astrid had been accurate in adjudging that the trip up the mountains would distract her from her confusion and at the same time, lighten her spirits. 

"Your hiking skills have definitely improved," Astrid commented, to which Altria responded with a faint nod. "Probably being busy around the office, climbing up staircases and rushing around for meetings and lab work helped," she joked, as her cousin replied with a few giggles.

The group were overwhelmed with distress upon their eventual arrival at the bald portion of the forest after a long day of intense trekking. The current austerity of the land was apparently due to severe exploitation of the land for illegal logging activities, disregarding possible consequences and thus, devastating the nature and creatures living within the habitat of potential food sources. 

It had broken Altria's heart to see the condition of what had used to be a beautiful place

It had broken Altria's heart to see the condition of what had used to be a beautiful place. The volunteers grouped up and set up camp with their tents and supplies. Night fell shortly, and  dinner was served. Under the brilliance of the moon, coupled with solar and battery powered flashlights, Ceries briefed the group on the timeline for the planting event the next day. Excluding the Dongs, the group was composed of the same members who had joined the trip to Saga-da village, and were familiar with one another. In order to pass time before they retired for the night, they exchanged stories and laughed. Also, due to the altitude, there was zero mobile network coverage. This would take her mind off thinking about Lyrid for a while. Noticing that her cousin was listening attentively to the stories shared by their group members while laughing and interacting with them, Astrid was glad to see her in a jovial mood compared to how broken-hearted and tearful she had been three days ago.