Chapter Twenty-Three

When Altria was finally done with all the explaining, it was already past working hours, so the exhausted employee decided to hail a taxi right home instead of taking public transportation. It was some distance from her workplace to the station, and she was too tired to walk all the way there. When she was walking to the taxi stand, her phone started to ring.

Altria had encountered her classmates being scammed by unknown callers, and she was not about to repeat the same mistake

Altria had encountered her classmates being scammed by unknown callers, and she was not about to repeat the same mistake. Since the call was from an unknown number, she instead replaced the phone in her pocket. After ringing for some time, the caller hung up. As she was sitting at the taxi stand, she heard the sound of a car stopping in front of her, and looked up. It was a luxury sedan car, and the driver looked a bit familiar. She took a closer look, and realised it was Lyrid, in a pair of cool-looking sunglasses. He rolled up the window, and said in his most charming tone, "I'll like to treat you to dinner for your help earlier."

Thinking about how she had been hurt in the past, Altria hesitated at first, but after much consideration, she said solemnly, "Only a dinner?"

"Only a dinner," Lyrid said. "As thanks."

the "Date"

Without a further word, Altria walked towards the car. Lyrid immediately alighted from his car and opened the door for her carefully, and making sure she was seated comfortably and her seat belt buckled before he closed the door and returned to his own seat.

They headed towards an affordable restaurant for Italian cuisine, the Pesto Place

They headed towards an affordable restaurant for Italian cuisine, the Pesto Place. As Altria was not familiar with the restaurant, Lyrid decided to make the choice for her.

"Which do you prefer, rice or noodles?" he asked. After a few seconds, she decided on having rice. Lyrid ordered one of the restaurant's top ten dishes, mushroom risotto. He settled on the seafood medley pasta for himself.

As they were waiting for their orders to arrive, Altria asked him if he could leave his number so that they may keep in touch. After all, they were volunteers, and she would be interested in another trip, if she had the chance. Smilingly, Lyrid informed her that he was the unknown caller earlier, and she smiled apologetically. She then asked how he had obtained her number, to which Lyrid handed her the business card that she had dropped outside the convenience store, following their drive back after the trip.