Chapter Twenty-Four

"Bye, Al," her co-workers said their goodbyes to Altria as they left the office. Two months had passed, and she had been settling in nicely. She couldn't have asked for a better working environment than where she was now. It had been past their working hours when she started putting together the donations they had collected from the company and some other goodhearted donors to be given to the next indigenous community that Astrid and Ceries would be visiting next. It had been unfortunate that Altria could not join them due to the impending 75th year anniversary of the company. Since she was still on probation and had a month before her actual employment would be confirmed, she was not entitled to vacation leave and applied for less than a week of unpaid leave to join the team in delivering the donations.

The company's anniversary event was expected to have a vast amount of memorabilia displayed in their galleries. Altria, along with the newly-hired curator and the rest of the team in charge of the gallery were expected to have a lot of restoration and preparation work for their upcoming event. She was extremely thankful to President Dong for allowing the volunteers to use her office temporarily for the packing and temporary storage of the supplies to be donated to the indigenous community. The president himself had also made a generous contribution towards the funds donated. The job of packing the items had fallen on shoulders as Ceries was away on an overseas business trip and would not be back for a few days, and Astrid was also attending a seminar overseas. Since the two most active members of their group were away, the members hoped that by the end of the week, the packing would have been completed. Today, she had been packing these items for about four hours.

Meanwhile, in Lyrid's office, the Dijun had utilised immortal magic to open a portal to the Sky Kingdom in order to play a game of go with Liansong remotely. With the high amount of magic he had put into the spell he had cast, some backfire was inevitable. The pain had been nothing to him, compared to his delight on seeing the envious looks on Liansong's face. He gloated in his glory over tempting Liansong with the sight of the sweet pastries and delights that Altria had shared with him and the group members. He also told Liansong craftily that he wouldn't mind to share it with him, if Liansong cared to pay him a visit. Liansong loved sorrowless cake, one of Fengjiu's signature desserts which she would often bring along to the Sky Kingdom in the past. Altria had offered Lyrid the desserts in thanks for his help for recommending her for the position.

Even though the Dijun was in Samsara, nothing would escape his eyes and ears, and thus he was clearly aware of the cold war between Liansong and Cheng Yu

Even though the Dijun was in Samsara, nothing would escape his eyes and ears, and thus he was clearly aware of the cold war between Liansong and Cheng Yu. The Dijun enjoyed himself tormenting Liansong with an offer for sorrowless cake, given the knowledge that should Liansong go to the mortal realm again after his brawl with Cheng Yu, it would just complicate matters further. After some sarcastic talk from the Dijun, Liansong gave a huff and promptly walked away from the go table without finishing the game, heading for the registry where Siming was sitting inclined over some scrolls and parchment. In his disappointment, Liansong looked at his friend and told him about how he really missed Wenchang since he was too humble every time he was in front of him and Siming. But now as the Dijun and having retrieved his lost memories of being the Dijun, he was always exhibiting his 'high and mighty' emperor attitude and frequently bullied him. Liansong assumed that the Dijun bullied him in revenge for his grudges as he, Cheng Yu and Siming had often teased Seventy-Three as an apprentice and called him names for fun.