Chapter 18

"Woah, you know Ashlyn?" Ricky's head whips around to look at me. "You know Ashlyn?" I ask and he nods. "She goes to school with me, we're in some of the same classes." I nod and look up at her. "Ashlyn is EJ's cousin. I've had a few dinners over at her place." I explain and Ashlyn nods, sitting next to me on the bench. "Yeah, EJ texted me and said you were being stalked or something? But guess what? He's in the area so I'm sure you'll be able to see each other tonight... you know, once this idiot backs the hell away from you." She says kindly and I laugh, despite my heartbeat picking up at finding out EJ's still in LA. If I turned to Ricky, I'm sure I'd see his jaw on the ground so instead, I grasp one of her hands and smile. "I actually can't believe that EJ didn't tell you, but he and I broke up, and Ricky isn't stalking me so you don't have to worry." I say and her face twists in confusion. "Woah, EJ definitely didn't mention a breakup. In fact, he said you're working through some stuff, blowing off some steam, and that you two would probably go out to dinner tonight." My jaw drops and Ashlyn's face becomes more confused. "Okay, clearly things aren't adding up but I'll let him know that you're for real about being done." I nod gratefully and I turn to see Ricky's stony face as he looks at Ashlyn. I turn back as Ashlyn speaks up again. "Obviously you're not taking the breakup too roughly, but I still have to check, how are you?" She asks and I smile, relaxing for the first time since her arrival. "I'm okay. It was a long time coming." I say and she nods. "If you don't mind me asking, what pushed it over the edge?" I shrug and Ricky speaks up. "Where would you start?" He spits out, his voice holding slight disbelief and anger. Ashlyn tilts her head and furrows her eyebrows at him, and my hand flings to his leg, stopping him from saying anything else. "We just didn't click. To be honest, we should've broken up months ago." I say vaguely, hoping that answer is enough for her and she nods. "Well I'm glad you're okay. Don't forget, you can always call me if you need anything. Until then though, I have to head." I smile, thanking her and as stands up she turns around to face Ricky. "And get some food in that boy, he's a little edgy." He says and I laugh, agreeing with her. 

"What the fuck Nins? Does she know anything?" Ricky asks once Ashlyn walks away. I shake my head and hold onto his leg a little tighter. "No, it doesn't really matter." I say and he shakes his head in disbelief. "What... it means nothing? Nini, seriously this guy-" I cut him off and I know my eyes hold pleading. "I know, I know Ricky. But just please let it go. I went to her when things started getting bad and the only thing I could say was that EJ was aggressive. She thought I meant it in a joking way and I never had the heart to tell her the truth. I haven't seen her in years, but she loves him so much. I can't taint that relationship." Ricky's jaw drops and he moves closer to me. "Nins-" he starts but I cut him off. "Just please let it go." I say and he sighs, nodding reluctantly. "Okay." He says and I nod, reaching for his hand. I don't quite know what to say, so I just trace over his fingers gently and he watches me curiously. I trace over his calluses from guitar and I move towards the back of his hand, drawing gentle circles. "You want to go home?" He asks and then he winces. "That was way too... I didn't mean it like that." He says and I smile, taking his hand and lacing our fingers together. "Let's go, but let's not rush. I like being..." I'm at a loss for words because I want to say it, hell I want to scream it. WITH HIM. I'm worried about it being too soon though and he looks down at me. "Me too." He says with a soft smile.