Chapter 35 ~ Kill

Now that the school festival was over, we were now getting ready for final exams. Koro-sensei wants us all to place in the top 50 and graduate from E-class once and for all. A-class, however, has a new teacher. Principal Asano. Word says he can literally brainwash people.

But I guess the principal and Koro-sensei are alike in some ways: they both have extraordinary powers but settle for being teachers. And it was all brought back to our attention as we walked home and spotted the younger Asano, almost as if he were waiting for us.

"What do you want?" Sugino asked him.

"It pains me that I have to say this." Asano grumbled. "But I have a favor. The principal... I need you to kill him."

We were all speechless as he chose to use that word. Kill... Is that just a metaphor or does he mean it literally?

"I don't mean murder." He assured us. "Kill his philosophy. All you have to do is dominate the top spots on the end of term exams. I'll be placing first, of course. Just outshine the rest of A-class."

"We all know your relationship isn't the best." Kataoka said. "But you want to tear down his life's work? To reject his legacy?"

"On the contrary. Believe it or not, my father actually wants me to take him down." Asano replied. "That's what I've been groomed to do. I'll fulfill his legacy. That's what our relationship is built on. His methods are horrible. The only thing fueling A-class is their hatred of you, and he's pushing them beyond their limits. We can't let him win. Hatred can only get you so far, I know personally. Defeat gives you perspective, so please let them know what it's like to lose." He proceeded to slightly bow to us, something I never ever thought would happen.

He may be arrogant, but he's speaking from the heart. That's respectable. He's actually bowing to us because for once in his life, he's really worried about someone other than himself.

"Ha! That's big of you and all but let me tell you, I'm actually gonna be the one to take the top spot." Karma stuck his tongue out at Asano.

"Asano, we've been working our butts off all along, just like you guys." Isogai spoke up. "When you get down to it, everyone's on the same side: excited when we win and frustrated when we lose. No need for ranks after that. That should be enough, don't you think? E-class will do the best we can so A-class can have an opponent they're proud to face."

"Don't overthink it, just make it fun." Karma said darkly. "Come at us like you want us dead."

"Very well." Asano smiled. "I'll fight with my gloves off, too."

~~~~~

And so we studied like crazy for the exams. Koro-sensei tried his best with us, but his doppelgängers started to devolve. It would definitely help for any other exams, but not this exam.

There were so many questions and not enough time. It was all college-level stuff. Even if one of us passes, it'll be a miracle. This test is designed to take his down a peg.

During the break we took a peak at A-class, and they were like crazed animals. I don't know if that's their own hate for us or Principal Asano's doing. Probably both.

Neverless, we fought like the assassins we are until the final bell rang.