Chapter 42 ~ March 12

Late on the night of March 12 we all secretly met up and stormed through the forest our schoolhouse was near to like the assassins we are. We knew the forest like the back of our hands. We had to take down some government officials in the forest, but we needed to see Koro-sensei. At least one last time. Our assassination deadline was approximately three hours.

Karma convinced Isogai to let him be in charge, which was good and bad. It was good because Karma's a natural born leader, but bad because whatever officials he took down, he took the liberty of shoving wasabi and spicy mustard up their nose.

Finally we made it to the anti-sensei dome surrounding our schoolhouse. Koro-sensei was standing in the front yard. "I thought that sounded like you." He smiled. "You've come so far. Look at you." We all ran and group-hugged him. In the sky was the laser they were planning to deal the killing blow with. They would probably fire it right before midnight. Tomorrow would be March 13, our deadline.

"So what do we do?" Kataoka asked.

"We should find a way to get out." Kurahashi said. "You could take us as hostages."

"I'm sorry, children. There's no stopping this now." Koro-sensei refused. "Too many people know of my existence. Even if I didn't self-destruct, the world can't accept something like me."

"So all the hard work we've put into this was for nothing?" Yada frowned.

"That's hardly fair." Koro-sensei said. "The past month may have been short, but it's also been sweet. The hard work gave you heart, and you used everything you had to come see me one last time. There is no greater happiness for a teacher. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been holding back tears." He's so composed... He's about to die but yet he still gives the time and effort to give us advice. "By the way, Nakamura, I couldn't help but notice the way you carried yourself in battle... and is that something sweet smelling?"

"It's been exactly one year since the moon blew up." Nakamura pulled out a strawberry cake. "And Ms. Yukimura designated today as your birthday."

Koro-sensei drooled over the cake as we lit the candle and sang happy birthday to him. He smiled brightly as normal and leaned in to blow out the candle. That is, until a very large tentacle came clashing down into the cake.

We looked behind to see Shiro and a man behind a mask. "This boys and girls," Shiro started. "Is the pupil who stole the name 'reaper' from your teacher. As of today, he is the new and improved Koro-sensei."

The reaper grew larger and unleashed dozens of tentacles, outnumbering Koro-sensei by a lot. The reaper jumped onto the schoolhouse and dived in towards Koro-sensei, knocking us all to the ground. "That was a sonic boom." Shiro informed us. "His tentacles have a maximum speed of mock 40."

The reaper immediately went at it attacking Koro-sensei. He was basically twice as strong, fast, etc. as Koro-sensei. The reaper threw Koro-sensei up to the anti-sensei shield and started attacking him there. Apparently the new and improved tentacles can't be harmed by anti-sensei material.

"Why do you always have to hurt people?!" Kaede exclaimed at Shiro. "Do your own dirty work for once!"

"You think I'm not willing to?" Shiro smirked and pulled out a syringe. He stuck it in his neck and his body immediately started becoming bigger and stronger, like the other two super-creatures.

"Listen, class." Koro-sensei spoke up, finally back on the ground. "A clever assassin may avoid confrontation for a while, but the fight will come, and every last ounce of strength will be put to the test. In my case, that would be now."

The reaper and Koro-sensei continued fighting with everything they had for survival. With every attack, a sonic boom followed. They were so fast that we couldn't make out their moves, but Koro-sensei was losing ground, big time. It was a one-sided fight. Everything we'd done the past year seemed meaningless.

Finally Koro-sensei blocked one of the reaper's attacks and started dodging his tentacles. "I take full responsibility for your lapse." Koro-sensei said to the reaper. "Shiro, this is a place of learning, not a war zone. You have no place being here!"

"You still won't give up the fantasy of being a teacher!" Shiro grumbled. "Why do you think we chose now of all times to launch our final attack?" Shiro snapped his fingers and the reaper sent a sonic boom heading straight for us kids. Koro-sensei had no choice but to protect us, injuring himself and falling to the ground. "Another please." The reaper did the same thing, and Koro-sensei jumped right in the line of fire.

The reaper kept attacking until Koro-sensei was gravely injured. "Showing up tonight only increased the likelihood of dying by your hands." Shiro said to us. He's absolutely right... We are Koro-sensei's greatest weakness... Not water, not anti-sensei material... us.

"Preposterous!" Koro-sensei exclaimed. "These children risked everything to save me! They are my greatest strength! They are my class and I am proud of each and every one of them! I will give my life to protect them-!" Suddenly the reaper fell to the ground. We turned to see Kaede holding a gun that just went off.

"Find a place to hide!" She told Koro-sensei. "You need to recover."

"Stop this at once!" Koro-sensei said.

"This is all my fault." She frowned. "Everyone had to learn the truth. We could've been a family."

"Everyone would have had to learn the truth sooner or later." Koro-sensei said. "Your actions just made it sooner."

Kaede ignored him and jumped into the air to attack the reaper. Aguri always told us to at least try, and that was no doubt what she was doing. Frozen in fear, we all watched as one of the reaper's tentacles suddenly pierced right through her chest.