Chapter 5~The Gladers

I was being pushed around by a bunch of boys to a large fire. I felt shy and dirty. All my clothes had been stained with sweat and blood and my hair was a tangled mess. I felt uncomfortable as people welcomed me like it was no big deal.

I learned about Gally and Zart and Winston and Ben and Minho and Frypan and every other member of the glade.

They called themselves gladers.

I took a seat by a tree. I wanted to be alone. I felt no need to talk to anyone here. They acted like this was fine.

I try to replay the dream I had in my mind but it was all a blur. I remembered the names but not the situation. I can't remember anything but the damn names!

Who is Rachel, Aris, Paul, Thomas and Teresa?

"You look bloody depressed." Newt laughed, taking a seat beside me.

"No no. I'm having a grand time." I mumble.

"No point mopping about it greenie, this place is your home and there is no way out. You see those walls?" He pointed out.

I nodded.

"Behind that is a giant maze. Every day the runners look for a way out and they haven't found one for two years." He explains.

I stare in awe at the closed stone walls.

"Here." He handed me another piece of bread but with something on it. "I don't know what it is but Frypan said its delicious."

"Thanks Newt."

"So have you met everyone?" Newt asks.

"Yeah." I nodded. "I don't think Gally likes me."

"Don't take it personally, he doesn't like anyone." He stifles a laugh.

"What happens outside the maze at night?" I question.

"You don't want to know greenie."