chapter 4 - static hum

As the night grew. The day withered. And for some reason, it felt lively. Warmth started brazing the air, more visible souls walking each corridor.

But Kalliste felt bored. She wandered into the hallways. Exploring as her inner demon suggested. She couldn't enter the Dead Pool anymore as security increased. Even being an ally. She didn't earn access to it. Already this place was deemed more interesting than anything before. Maybe Shang Tsung's island was grand, but this was slightly more occupied and different.

She stopped to see a large opening outside. A balcony you would call it. It was grand and allowed the pure, midnight sky to seep inside.

With obscure eyes watching. She could sense heels hitting against the floors when she turned around to see who was approaching. The dark revealed the figure of a woman. Medium red hair, crimson attire. She came forward with a cunning smirk. Kal immediately recognized her. The vampiric woman seemed to have a fondness for blood.

"Greetings, newcomer. Come, let me see you." She says. Kalliste understood her intentions. She continued to stay still.

"There is no need to hesitate, girl." Her eyes grew heavy with yearning. But it slowly drained as Kalliste was remaining still, disobeying her words. She sighed. Curling her hands at Kalliste, proceeding to draw her blood right in front of Kal. It was a quick exchange, it hurt for a bit. Gave an overwhelming feeling just for a moment. The woman in red consumed Kal's blood. Many faces appeared.

"-Bitter, but most savory." Her words curled like a hungry cat. Now putting on a more serious expression. "So, Shao Kahn has summoned you into his court. I wonder how long you will be able to comprehend his rule. I do not trust you, nor that parasite you have inside you." She continued to spit. "Silent ones always keep obscurity in them."

"Who are you...?" Kalliste asks. "I am Skarlet. Shao Kahn's favorite assassin. Moreso, a blood mage."

"And what brings you here?" Kalliste leans against a pillar. Trying to get a read on her.

"Nothing but my yearning for your blood."

"You've already gotten a taste. Now leave me alone." Kalliste crossed her arms and walked away. Suddenly, a sharp whiplash hit Kalliste's leg, dragging her against the floor. Kal turned around in slight anger. Annoyed by all of these sudden assaults from Shao Kahn's allies. Of course, being new meant lots of picking and mocking; along with suspicions gathering.

"I also wish to test your skills. What of you interests Shao Kahn...?" Skarlet walks over to her with that sultry demeanor. She prepares herself as Kal stands up. They both adjust their stances, glaring at one another.

Fight!

Skarlet jumps in the air and summons a bloody scythe; swinging it at Kal. She barrel rolls backward, charging at Skarlet as she manages to kick her stomach which threw her off a little. She grunts in slight vexation. Gazing at her; Skarlet proceeds to dash forward giving a crimson whiplash giving high damage. Kalliste winces. Who knew blood magic could hurt?

Taking in the slight impact, Kalliste rushed for an uppercut. Successfully hitting the woman. She quickly rises from it and begins her marrow massacre. Ending it with a bloodshot. Skarlet was good. She indeed drew blood from Kalliste but she had only begun.

"Your blood will satisfy my needs." Skarlet taunted.

Kalliste clenched her face and began drawing organic black magic, pulling in Skarlet that was similar to her cell siphon. As she is pulled into contact, Kalliste's organic strings shove Skarlet towards the hardening floor.

Kalliste walks over and offers her hand. Skarlet snares her face and kicks Kal's legs. Interfering with her balance, she falls while Skarlet immediately pins her. Smiling down at her. Kal's face had a visible blood wound. Skarlet moves her head closer to hers and gives her a lick on the cheek where her blood was seeping through. Kalliste winced and roughly kicked Skarlet in the groin, pushing her body away from hers.