chapter 9 - steam

The night that swallowed them whole, her face and tears kept in the dark. Broken but not broken, hurt, and lost but she kept her spirits high and bright even from the tormenting hell she had to face. She had ignored the words given to her, Jade consulting her about her hurricane drunkness. In the fresh morning, Kalliste headed for the canteen bar and savored the refined flavor of alcoholic drinks.

 "Kalliste. A surprise to see you here." Shang Tsung greeted her, his tone conveying the message that he knew what she had been up to. 

She didn't want to reply, she wanted to kill him and anyone else she could reach out and hurt. Kalliste took a deep breath to calm her temper and ignored him. She was trying to relax in the blankness of fantasy and utopia.

 "Drinking is not a sensible choice, Kalliste. I remember your desire for the taste of wine when you were younger." He said. She paused, her hand holding her glass. "That was a long time ago. Now, I am older, wiser, and I know better." She said coldly. 

"I do not believe you." He said scornfully and began to pace slowly around her. She gave him a venomous look that would have made lesser men quiver, but he did not.

"I don't... care." She muttered as she stood up. Kalliste departed the enclosure, leaving Shang Tsung to his thoughts but he continued to pursue her. He had followed her into the depths of the hallways of Shao Kahn's palace and eventually, he had managed to catch up to her. Kalliste had been fast, but his pursuit had not. 

"I have an opportunity for you. A way for you to earn the emperor's respect again." He said. She turned to him, "Is that so?"  Her voice groaned.

"Indeed. There has been commotion between the emperor and one of his weapons dealers. An earthrealmer called Kano."She was listening to him. He could see it in her eyes. The thirst for violence and bloodshed was still there, waiting to be released. 

"Although, one of his own has been taken captive, the familiar Kollector." Shang Tsung looked at her with a stern expression. Kalliste sighed in annoyance when she heard Kollector's name.

Later on, she smirked, "That idiot got captured by earthrrealmers?" She scoffed. 

Shang Tsung ignored her amusing remark, "I've inquired if Shao Kahn would allow you to partake in his rescue mission. He agreed to it. It is a chance to redeem yourself to the emperor."She thought about it for a moment and nodded her head. 

 "...I'll do it even though I don't like Kollector." She crossed her arms and pouted. "I want something in return." 

"Of course." He answered back.

 "I want you to break me free," Kalliste demanded. "You owe me that." 

Shang Tsung frowned."There is no doubt you'll be free of my will. Although, I understand your need for independence..." Said Shang Tsung. "I will decide once you return." 

Kalliste looked back at him in disbelief but settled her ground. "Fine." She said as she stormed off and left Shang Tsung. 

Kalliste headed for the entrance of Shao Kahn's throne room and entered. He had been ranting on and on about his annoyance with the Black Dragon clan. Kalliste slowly entered the Emperor's view then he grew pessimistic.