chapter 44 - head over heels

She slept quite pleasantly for the first time in forever, a good feeling that held onto her. Kalliste dressed herself up and quickly headed outside her tent.

The weather appeared to be the same as before; the gazing sunlight with blissful breezes. Only a few lively tarkatans roamed the camp, doing chores and such. Kalliste immediately sought out Mileena out of her tent, she was gazing upon a large table where Tanya lingered.

Her curiosity peeked as she wondered for Kollector's whereabouts. Even though she resented him, she kept her concern for him.

She approached Mileena and Tanya by the table; glaring at a map of some kind.

"Empress?" Kalliste called out.

Mileena glanced at her then back at the table.

"What is it?" She replied bitterly. Her voice was raspy as ever.

Kalliste blankly gawked at her.

"—-Have you... have you seen— Kollector?" She asked. Mileena did not look back at her but continued on her task.

"How would I know? Why don't you go fetch for him? Considering your so concerned for him all the time..." Mileena said. Tanya snickered beside the empress to her comment. Smiling all over the place.

Kalliste took in her words.

"...Well, how are you doing, empress?" Kalliste asked.

"I'm fine, thank you," Mileena replied. "Now leave, I must hold my concentration if I wish for Kotal's head."

Then Kalliste began to question her empress. Wanting to say something to their current situation.

"—Can you still manage to overthrow Kotal? Most of your tarkatans are dead. This 'Kano' failed his task and you have no other allies to help you." Then Mileena began to grow a darkening aura, the comment she was given wasn't something she needed at all. She slowly rose her head at Kalliste, glaring at her.

"You dare doubt my position?! - You have no right to talk to me about authority! I am an empress!" Mileena exclaimed in anguish. She seemingly became erratic by the moment. Her voice was so guttural.

Tanya approached Kalliste pushing her aside then facing her.

"Best you remove yourself from here," Tanya said as she rashly pushed her aside. She kept smirking at Kalliste who continued to present an impartial expression. Kalliste kept herself stiff as she didn't understand why Mileena had to be so exasperated. But she had her father's stubbornness. Constantly being in service of many leaders was becoming a strain in her head and soul.

Kalliste parted herself from the two Edenians and continued to look around the camp.

She checked where Kollector last kept himself in, the tent to which she searched in; an unoccupied tent.

Kalliste pondered around the empty tent and could still smell his astringent scent. She had to admit that she was already missing him greatly, she knew he left for some collecting business. But where exactly could have gone? He can't bear himself in Z'Unkahrah - the capital city of Outworld.

But maybe he was desperate, maybe he will stealth his way in and collect some extra material. 

She had no place in the empty tent no more and soon exited out to where a voice called out to her.

"Kalliste." She turned her head to the source and soon noticed Rain gaining his way to her.

"Morning." Kalliste greeted in a faint tone.