chapter 46 - death

———————————

Silent throughout their dainty journey. She still felt tingling and numb from the inside. Giddy was all she could feel from now on. A bright closed smile on her face, a type of happiness she hadn't possessed in many years.

But the contentment vanished when she remembered that they were returning to Mileena. The past events had been poor and it seemed that Mileena's empire wasn't going to last long. Then Kollector stopped his steps.

"Kollector...?" Kalliste called out. Then he dragged her into the jungle shade. Kalliste was confused but then she heard shuffling nearby them. An amount of Kotal's troops came passing through as they both hid in the greenery. Kollector's hand covered her mouth.

Kalliste moved his hand and shot at him with annoyed eyes.

"Don't cove—-"

"Don't move your tongue!" Kollector sharply muttered. "I wish not to be caught by Kotal's guards." He glared at her, irked as he watched the guards slowly pass by. Kalliste observed the situation as Kollector's grip slowly was removed.

"...What's happening...?" Kalliste softly spoke.

"Mileena's camp is infiltrated..." He responded. Then he begins to gradually pull Kalliste further away from the scene.

"We will go." Dragging her into the jungle air, the palms of green wafting in their faces. A sense of concern wavers in Karl's mind.

"...What about Mileena and the others?" Kalliste says. Kollector continues to stay silent as they both wither farther away from camp. She felt concerned and troubled but she gave no care to serving someone who deliberately began their way to madness and failure.

For a moment through the jungle, Kollector's grip soften as they finally slowed their pace. Separated for a while, Kalliste stared at Kollector until she began to ask her previous question once more.

"About Mileena..." She muttered. Then, Kollector abruptly turned around to her. His expression and behavior seemed uninterested in her topic.

"I never coveted to serve her." He said. Kalliste tilted her head in confusion.

"Yet, you agreed..."

"To only hope to receive profit. But Mileena is a feeble Kahn. She was never the true heir to Shao Kahn." Kalliste could almost laugh at his words. He dare disrespect the "daughter" of Shao Kahn, but he was right, she hardly was the successor of Shao Kahn.

"...If Shao Kahn were to hear you.." Kalliste muttered. She slightly joked but Kollector had no energy for it, instead he drifted further into the jungle. Kalliste slowly followed.

"What do we do now...?" She asked. Kollector seemed tired, his posture dripping and faint.

"Nothing. We are free of Mileena and the Edenians. There is no reason to pursue. Shao Kahn's lineage ends." His tone almost seemed despondent. But this now meant that they were truly free to do anything. No queens or kings to submit to. No more. Of course, they were wanted by the Outworld's emperor, they couldn't live as open as they wanted but this seemed to be a better idea. Their relationship was growing pleasantly and now, they only had each other.

Kollector was a complex character, he showed a lack of affection when it comes to intimacy. It was expected, he seemed to have grown in a terrible environment, made himself thrive in a tyrant's court. Kill or be killed. And to take what he desired. Kalliste understood normal emotions. She grew through intricate times. Brushed it off and began to fight to survive.