chapter 6 - the hunger

There was no telling when it was time to go debt collecting with Kollector, he did not specify a time or place for their meeting.

Kalliste slowly ventured through the corridors of the fortress. The halls were empty and desolate, and the guards from all around scanned the area with cold, cold eyes. She hadn't realized how much she had been residing here. 

For how long will she be here under the rule of Shao Kahn? She never questioned why she had to be here, just another tool to be used. At least she could find a way to part away from Shang Tsung's string. It is said that the blood of an enemy is strong and with enough of it, you could break the chains that bound you. Yet, Kalliste was in fear of her actions, her little deal with Kollector could threaten her trust.

 Shang Tsung knew that she was always going to be the good little girl that obeyed her master's orders, he could see through her, he had seen it all in her eyes. She could easily break her deal with Kollector, why even if she took his place, she would still be under his thumb. She began to turn the corner when she saw Shang Tsung in the next hall, he was speaking with someone. Her steps slowly grew further toward him as his conversation with that person ended.

Finally, he noticed her presence.

 "Ah, my dear, you have returned," he stated. Kalliste stared at him with a dead stare.

"...I haven't seen you in some time." She says. He nodded, "I have been away on my island. Why, were you concerned?" 

She stared at him."No. Just... curious." 

He perked a smile, "I've heard that you put Kollector in his place. A pleasing duel no doubt."

 "Well, it was just a duel for the entertainment of others. It wasn't anything special." She states.

"A duel is a duel, my dear, regardless of who has the upper hand or is watching."She simply gazed at him. 

"Right... I have to get going." Kalliste proceeds to leave the conversation but Shang Tsung stops her. 

"You're forgetting something, Kalliste."He slowly approaches her, appearing in front of her where she stops to stare at him with dead eyes. She is expected of something... He tilts his head where she is expected to kiss him on the cheek. She gives him a light peck on the cheek. He continues to stare at her with a faint smile."Good girl, you are dismissed."Kalliste finds disgust in her actions but she leaves without a peep. 

Later on, she finds the next couple of minutes mindlessly wandering the corridors where she eventually gave up, her stomach was starting to turn to hunger. Kalliste exhaled and wanted to eat so she decided to stop her trail of wandering.

Shortly after, she arrived at to warm-lit canteen of Shao Kahn's palace. The place wasn't much full of people, mostly guards. The uneasiness didn't overwhelm her as she was beginning to starve after all the running around. She ordered herself a bowl of noodles and a glass of wine.

She felt her stomach be slightly settled as she continued to eat.

Kalliste wanted some time to relax as she gradually drank her wine while finishing the remains of her food. The wine had a bit of an intoxicating effect, the bowl made her think of the times she tried playing alongside Shang Tsung when she was growing up. She hardly ever had a childhood, just the streets, and the alleyways. She would play all day and into the night, she would hide places or makeup games. How did she ever survive living with Shang Tsung? 

Her lips would turn upward in a crooked smile as her eyes would get a far-off look. She would drift off into her childhood, almost losing herself in her thoughts.