Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Nicholai's Pov

My heart was racing in my body as my feet hit the ground. The feeling that was surging through my body was amazing. All thoughts of Mateus and Imani being mad, all thoughts of the whole mating situation and everything else just seemed to melt away. The wind whipped through my fur setting my whole body ablaze. It was electric running through the forest with Damien.

"How do you like it?" Damien's voice rang in my mind.

"It's amazing!" I practically shouted back.

Leaping over fallen tree branches and sprinting in between the trees we finally stopped at a clearing next to a lake. The morning sun shone brightly off the surface of the water sending a dazzling reflection back to us. Lying down on my belly next to the water I lapped at it a bit before cringing when I realized what it was that I was actually doing. Drinking lake water was not something I wanted to do.

A wolf staring back at me caught my attention. Was that me? Tilting my head to the side I watched as the wolf in the reflection tilted his head as well. Bright blue eyes stared back at me through a mixture of black of black and white fur with hints of golden brown shining through.

Damien plopped down next to me with his tongue hanging out his mouth as he panted wildly. He lapped messily at the water in front of us before pulling away from the water. He stared out across the lake with neither of us speaking at all. It was an entirely peaceful moment.

"DAMIEN! NICHOLAI!" Mateus' voice boomed through the forest shaking me from the pleasant atmosphere.

Imani's black jaguar darted through the trees that were lining the clearing followed closely by Mateus. When they saw the two of us lying there they stopped in their tracks marveling at my wolf. Imani had slowed down as he approached me before he gracefully lay down next to me, his tail curling around his body beautifully.

"Nicholai...you look...breathtaking." Mateus sighed lovingly as he stroked me from the back of my neck down my spine and along my bushy tail. Long soft strokes that nearly put me to sleep.

I didn't see the big deal. I looked like bigger version of a husky mixed with a wolf to me it was completely amazing but there was nothing special about my wolf like there was with Damien. He's an all-white wolf, now that's something to write home about.

I snorted in disagreement turning my attention back to the lake watching as the water rippled as the fish came to the surface every so often. Mateus came and crouched down behind me as his fingers ran through the fur on my back. I could feel the tips of his fingers rake down my back soothingly as he spoke softly to me.

"What? You don't think you're special?" Once again I snorted in response to which he simply laughed.

"You can't see the rest of you like I can. I'm actually surprised that Damien hasn't said anything about these stripes back here."

"STRIPES!" I screeched in all their minds.